Balamurugan Selvarajan has practiced for 19 years in criminal and general litigation. His area of focus is criminal litigation.
Apart from handling complex white collar criminal cases including offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act, Securities & Futures Act, and Computer Misuse and Cybersecurity Act, Balamurugan handles a gamut of criminal law cases including capital cases (serious drug offences), cases involving hurt (culpable homicide, voluntarily causing hurt, and hurt by rash or negligent acts), and heinous sexual offences.
He has rendered advice and opinion on compliance with anti-bribery and corruption legislation to international law firms and rendered assistance to Singaporean and international clients and consular offices and embassies in Singapore with regulations ranging from major crimes to commercial offences (e.g., under the Prevention of Corruption Act, Securities & Futures Act, and Computer Misuse Act).
Balamurugan has also acted as a private prosecutor in court cases involving government agencies such as Building Control Authority (BCA), Council of Education, Council for Estate Agencies, and Central Provident Fund Board.
- Member of the Law Society of Singapore
- Member of the Singapore Academy of Law
- Member of the Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn (UK)
- Member of the ASEAN Law Association
Balamurugan is actively involved in pro bono work and volunteers at the Meet the People’s Session at Marsiling constituency and is the vice chairman for Fuchun Community Club.
He is a state assigned lawyer for capital cases in the Supreme Court. He is also a volunteer lawyer with the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme, a nonprofit initiative by the Law Society of Singapore to provide legal assistance to needy defendants in criminal cases. For his efforts, Balamurugan was awarded the Gold Award in 2010.
- “Financial Crime in Singapore,” Thomson Reuters Practical Law, 1 April 2019
- Singapore, Business Crime Q&As, Financial & Business Crime Global Guide 2018/2019
- Singapore, Financial Crime Q&As, Financial & Business Crime, Global Guide 2018/2019