S. Balamurugan is in the firm’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution practice. He maintains a broad criminal law practice with particular experience in diverse investigations, enforcement and white collar crime. He has acted in complex white-collar criminal cases including offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act, Securities & Futures Act, and Computer Misuse and Cybersecurity Act.
Bala also acts as counsel on a gamut of criminal law cases including capital cases (serious drug offences), cases involving hurt (culpable homicide, voluntarily causing hurt, and hurt by rash or negligent acts), and heinous sexual offences. He has rendered advice and opinion on compliance with anti-bribery and corruption legislation to international law firms and rendered assistance to Singaporean and international clients as well as consular offices and embassies in Singapore with regulations ranging from regulatory breaches to corporate fraud.
Bala also advises on workplace safety and compliance issues, including the provision of health and safety laws, audits and management systems, as well as assisting with incident investigations, addressing regulatory orders and the defense of prosecutions. He has also acted as a private prosecutor in court cases involving government agencies in Singapore such as Building Control Authority, Council of Education, Council for Estate Agencies, Central Provident Fund Board, and Energy Market Authority.
- Member of the Law Society of Singapore
- Member of the Singapore Academy of Law
- Member of the Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn (UK)
- Member of the ASEAN Law Association
Bala is actively involved in pro bono work and volunteers at the Meet the People's Session at Marsiling constituency, is the vice chairman for Marsiling Community Club and the Honourary Legal Counsel for the Marsiling-Yew Tee Town Council.
He is a state assigned lawyer for capital cases in the Supreme Court. He is also a volunteer lawyer with the Pro Bono Services - Law Society of Singapore to provide pro bono legal assistance to needy defendants.
- Author, Global Guide 2023: Financial and Business Crime: Financial Crime in Singapore: Overview, in collaboration with Thomson Reuters, Practical Law, 2023
- Author, Global Guide 2023: Financial and Business Crime: Business Crime and Investigations in Singapore: Overview, in collaboration with Thomson Reuters, Practical Law, 2023
- “Financial Crime in Singapore,” Thomson Reuters Practical Law, 1 April 2019
- Singapore, Business Crime Q&As, Financial & Business Crime Global Guide 2018/2019
- Singapore, Financial Crime Q&As, Financial & Business Crime, Global Guide 2018/2019
- Singapore, Business Crime Q&As, Financial & Business Crime Global Guide 2021/2022
- Singapore, Financial Crime Q&As, Financial & Business Crime, Global Guide 2021/2022