Carla DewBerry practices in the areas of health care law; mergers and acquisitions; and federal, state and local tax. Carla represents health care clients in Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement matters, including related audits and litigation. In addition, she is an experienced tax and business counselor and represents clients in corporate restructurings, joint venture operations, licensing, and federal and state taxation matters. She provides counsel for clients outside the health care industry as well.
Carla's experience includes working as a practicing CPA at a large accounting firm where she was part of a firmwide health care group. She brings to her law practice a practical, in-depth understanding of how financial information is generated, stored and retrieved in the health care industry. This understanding is especially helpful in Medicare/Medicaid reimbursement matters.
Carla is also a founding faculty member of the firm’s mini-MBA program, an innovative professional development training program designed to orient associates to key business concepts that are integral to our clients’ business success.
Most recently, Carla was an owner of the private law practice Garvey Schubert Barer. The primary areas of focus included general corporate law, tax law, and health care law with an emphasis in regulatory compliance (federal and local) and reimbursement issues.
Previous to that, she was a shareholder in Bennett Bigelow & Leedom, P.S., a law firm specializing in health care services. Carla was also a tax manager of a large multi-national accounting firm where her primary areas of focus included hospital reorganizations, federal and state tax law, and health care reimbursement.
- Listed by Chambers USA for Health Care in Washington, 2020
- Named in Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers, 2012
- Named a "Top Lawyer" for Healthcare in Seattle Met magazine, 2010
- Named by peers to The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Healthcare, 2007 - 2020
- Martindale-Hubbell AV/5.0 Peer Review Rated
- Member, Washington State Bar Association, 1986-present
- Member, State Bar of California, 1980-present
- Member, King County Bar Association
- Member, National Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys, 1997-1998
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, Texas Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Board of Directors, Healthcare Financial Management Association, 1997-2001, 2011-2014
- President, 2013-2014
- Member, Board of Directors, Benaroya Research Institute, 2009-present
- President, 2017-2019
- Chair, Washington State Tobacco Settlement Authority
- Member, Board of Directors, Capitol Hill Housing Improvement Program, 1986-2007
- Member, Board of Directors, Community Health Plan of Washington, 2009-present
- Vice Chair, 2017-present
- "Healthcare Rules Applicable to Certain Populations: Chapter 3," Washington Health Law Manual, 5 May 2020
- Corporate Practice of Medicine: A Fifty State Survey, American Health Lawyers Association, 2014, co-authored Washington Chapter.
- Chapter 23, Washington Health Law Manual (3rd Edition), “State Taxes and Exemptions,” Washington State Society of Health Care Lawyers, co-authored with Mark Hugh, MA, CPA.
- "4th Quarter 2012 Ideas for Finance Professionals," Northwest Outlook, Washington-Alaska HFMA Chapter Newsletter, 3rd Quarter, 2012.
- "Update: CMS "Suspends" Hospital CoP - Mandatory Board Position for a Medical Staff Member," Garvey Schubert Barer, June 2012.
- "Personalized Medicine Molecular Genetic Lab Testing Legal Compliance Traps," co-authored with David Gee, Esq. for the American Health Lawyers Association, May 21, 2012.
- "CMS Needs Your Feedback: New Rule Regarding Hospital Board Compositions," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, May 2012.
- "Proposed Changes to Medicare’s Conditions of Participation for Hospitals," Washington Rural Health News, Special Edition, October 2011.
- "Form 1099 Reporting: Two Burdensome Rules Repealed, But Some Traps Remain," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, May 2011.
- "Public Hospital Districts and Non-Healthcare Related Tort Claims for Damages: Is Your District Meeting All of the Requirements?," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, April 28, 2011.
- "The Washington Supreme Court Allows Private Lawsuits Against Health Care Providers Who Do Not Report Suspected Child Abuse," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, February 2011.
- "Washington's First Tax Amnesty Program," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, January 2011.
- "10 New Reasons to Tune Up Your Compliance Program," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, Fall 2010.
- "The Washington Public Records Act - New Developments," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, October 2010.
- "Hospital Medicare Reimbursement: Moving to Reimbursement Based on Quality of Care," Washington Healthcare News, Volume 5, Issue 7, July 2010.
- "New Developments Regarding Ancillary Services," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, May 5, 2010.
- "Maintaining an Effective and Low Cost Compliance Program for Rural Hospitals," Washington Healthcare News, Volume 4, Issue 3, March 2009.
- "RAC Audits Back on Track," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, February 20, 2009.
- "2008 Year-End Wrap-Up," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, December 17, 2008.
- "RAC Audit Recoveries: One Billion Dollars and Counting," Garvey Schubert Barer Legal Update, September 18, 2008.