Christopher Tan is a partner in the firm's Labor, Employment, and Workplace Safety practice. He has more than two decades of experience. His areas of focus include corporate and commercial (with a focus on cross-border mergers and acquisitions and corporate restructurings) as well as employment law (covering both Singapore and South East Asia).
Christopher has represented private equity firms, multinational corporations, and private companies on outbound and inbound investments in the region using both equity as well as hybrid structures, and has handled transactions covering Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia, China, as well as Mongolia, among others. He also acts on the management side on a full range of employment related matters covering Singapore and South East Asia.
He is an active member of the firm's Corporate (Mergers and Acquisitions) practice, as well as the Labor and Employment practice in Singapore and South East Asia. He has most recently been ranked for Employment: International by Chambers Asia-Pacific and has also been recognized for labour and employment in every edition of The Legal 500 Asia Pacific since 2017. In addition, he has also been recognized by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific as one of only three Leading Individuals in Singapore in the field of labour and employment: foreign firms.
Over the years, Christopher and his team have received numerous commendations and commentaries from Chambers and Partners as well as The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, including the following:
“Christopher Tan is sought after by clients in the media, entertainment, technology, and engineering sectors to assist with a wide variety of employment-related aspects.”
“Particularly good and quite unique in his qualities.”
“Has extensive and invaluable experience practising both international and Singapore employment law in a global firm context, and he also has a strong disputes and transactional background which is invariably useful.”
"Christopher is responsive, agile, approachable, commercial-minded and solid with Singapore employment law."
"[Christopher] is efficient at providing quick and practical advice."
"Senior and very well regarded."
"Very responsive and a pleasure to work with."
"They have fast turnaround time and are commercial.”
“The team combines local employment knowledge with notable cross-border capabilities, stemming from the firm's regional network of offices', and are particularly adept at assisting clients in the TMT sector.”
“Interviewees value the team's business acumen and the quality of its client service, with one saying: 'They provided outstanding customer service and demonstrated good commercial awareness by proposing practical solutions while protecting our business interests.'"
Christopher started out at one of the largest top-tier local law firms in Singapore and, prior to joining K&L Gates, was working in the Singapore office of a top-tier international firm (which was operating in a joint law venture with a local firm).
He has given presentations on various topics, including on directors’ duties and liabilities to the Board of Directors of an international bank. He has also been featured in publications like the Oil Council’s publication “Drillers and Dealers”, as well as in “Australia’s Paydirt” magazine:
- Are Asia’s capital markets a good place for international oil and gas companies to seek future funding at present, Drillers and Dealers, April 2013 Edition
- Myanmar on the Move, Australia’s Paydirt, September 2013 Edition
- Recognized by The Legal 500 Asia Pacific in Singapore
- Leading Individual for Labour and employment: foreign firms, 2023-2024
- Next Generation Lawyer for Labour and employment: foreign firms, 2019-2022
- Recommended Lawyer for Foreign Firms in Malaysia, 2021-2022
- Recommended Lawyer for Labour and employment: foreign firms in Singapore, 2017-2018
- Recognized by Chambers Asia-Pacific for Employment: International in Singapore, 2019-2024
- Recognized by Marine Money Offshore for counsel role in its Leasing Deal of the Year, 2014
- Co-Author, “Singapore Investment Activities: Legal Perspective,” Asia Business Law Journal, 26 October 2023
- Co-Author, "Expert Briefing: Investment Activities in Singapore: A Legal Perspective," Asia Business Law Journal, 19 October 2023
- Mentioned, “K&L Gates Guides First Ever De-Spac Merger on SGX,” Asian Legal Business, 16 October 2023