Derek Kelley is a partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. His practice spans the field of competition law, including U.S. and international merger clearance, complex antitrust litigation, federal and state government investigations, and routine counseling on compliance with U.S. antitrust laws.
Derek began his career as an antitrust litigator. He is among a very small number of lawyers to have litigated multiple merger trials. In addition to achieving significant wins for clients in the healthcare and medical device spaces, he has successfully represented clients in industries as far-ranging as building materials and professional wrestling.
Since joining K&L Gates in 2019, Derek has increasingly focused on merger clearance. Derek routinely advocates on behalf of the firm’s clients before the U.S. Department of Justice–Antitrust Division and the Federal Trade Commission, as well as the European Commission.
Prior to joining the firm, Derek served as an associate at an international law firm, where he assisted clients with boycott claims, restructurings, complex product liability litigations, monopolization, and antitrust risks associated with mergers and potential litigation.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America for Antitrust Law (2024)
- “Navigating Potential Changes In Carbon Reporting Standards,” Law360, 17 January 2023
- Antitrust Enforcement of No-Poach Agreements in Health Care and Unique Considerations for AMCs, American Health Law Association (co-author) (2022).
- Health Care Mergers and Acquisitions: The Antitrust Perspective, BNA's Health Law and Business Series (co-author) (2015).
- Improving Hospital Costs and Quality: How Does Transaction Structure Matter and What Does Antitrust Have to Say About it? Am. Bar Ass’n (co-author) (2015).
- AHLA Member Briefing on Saint Alphonsus v. St. Luke’s and Other Precedents on Physician Practice Acquisitions and Mergers (co-author) (2014).