Gregory Couston is a commercial disputes/litigation partner. His practice focuses on professional liability, financial sector litigation, insurance coverage issues, property disputes, and contamination/environmental liability.
Gregory's clients include professionals in various fields – with particular emphasis on lawyers; as well as property companies, financial institutions, manufacturers and trading companies, particularly Asian trading companies. He is also a trained and practicing mediator.
Gregory delivers proactive dispute management and outcomes focused service to his clients.
He has, for a number of years, been selected in The Best Lawyers in Australia in the fields of insurance law, and also commercial litigation as one of Australia’s leading insurance law and litigation lawyers in the Best Lawyers lists.
Gregory frequently presents, and is regularly published on, liability and risk management issues.
- Recognised as one of Australia’s leading lawyers in insurance (2012–2021), litigation (2014/15–2021) and alternative dispute resolution (2020–2021) in Best Lawyers.
- Australian Insurance Law Association member
- Resolution Institute member
- Nationally accredited mediator (NMAS)
- Charity/orphanage work in Uganda, India and Philippines
Gregory frequently presents at liability and risk management seminars and conferences.
- “Key Principles of Privilege & Waiver of Privilege,” Law Society Journal, September 2016
- "Can a lawyer act contrary to a former client's interests", Law Society Journal (NSW), August 2016
- "Informal communications with judges' chambers – a professional and risk management issue", Law Society Journal (NSW), June 2016
- "Lawyers' Liability to non-clients – additional dimensions of liability in finance transactions", Law Society Journal (NSW), October 2014
- "Privilege Lost – preservation of privilege, practice pointers", Law Society Journal (NSW), August 2014
- "Informal Wills – the duty of a lawyer to consider, discuss and make an informal will for a client", Law Society Journal (NSW), July 2014