Ian Dorey has a great depth of experience in all areas of insolvency, banking, recovery, and commercial litigation. His main focus is in the area of secured recovery, where he advises major banks, regional banks and other financial institutions on banking, insolvency, and recovery issues. He concentrates on providing practical commercial advice to clients to get the best possible outcome.
Ian also acts for insolvency practitioners appointed as receivers and managers, voluntary administrators, liquidators or trustees in bankruptcy. He has been involved in litigation of all sizes in Australian state and federal jurisdictions, including matters involving injunctive and declaratory relief, complex banking litigation, mortgage recovery, and debt recovery, including recovery against guarantors and principal debtors where a shortfall exists. Ian has participated in numerous mediations and is a supporter of alternative dispute resolution processes.
- Lawyers Weekly, finalist in the Partner of the Year Awards for Insolvency (2021)
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in Australia™ for Litigation, and Insolvency and Reorganisation Law (2014-present)
- Doyle's Guide, recommended as a Leading Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyer in Queensland (2017-2021)
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific, recognised in Restructuring and Insolvency (2017)
- INSOL (International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Professionals) Global Electronic Newsletter Editorial Committee Member (since 2015)
- Chair of the INSOL Global Electronic Newsletter Editorial Committee (2019/20)
- Fellow of Australian Restructuring, Insolvency and Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- ARITA Committee Member (QLD)
- Queensland Law Society Insolvency Committee Member
- Law Council of Australia Insolvency and Reconstruction Committee Member
- INSOL Member
Ian regularly presents seminars on all aspects of banking recovery, insolvency, and litigation. He also provides specialised training for clients in the areas of recovery and insolvency.
- "New Insolvency Inquiry Misses the Mark," INSOL International Electronic Newsletter, December 2019
- "Phoenixing: A concept best left in the Harry Potter books," INSOL International Electronic Newsletter, September 2019
- "Safe Harbour But Have We Missed the Boat?" INSOL International Electronic Newsletter, February 2019
- So, Here We Go Again! Maritime Law Versus Insolvency on the Cross-border Frontier – Australia's Latest Case on the UNCITRAL Model Law,” INSOL International Electronic Newsletter, November 2015