James is a senior partner in the Corporate group in Sydney advising on funds related matters and mergers and acquisitions. He is an experienced corporate and transactional lawyer, working in the public and private, and regulated and unregulated environments.
His focus areas are:
- Funds management including advising on the structuring, establishment, offering, and restructuring of unit trusts and other investment vehicles;
- Securities and financial services regulation including licensing, compliance, and disclosure obligations;
- Equity capital markets including advising on the documentation, and due diligence enquiries, for capital raisings such as IPOs, placements, and entitlement offers as well as on wholesale/institutional funding;
- M&A such as regulated takeover bids, schemes, capital reductions and buy-backs, and private sale and purchases of companies and businesses;
- Joint ventures and start-ups including the preparation of joint venture and shareholder agreements; and
- Advisory work on corporate governance matters and securities regulatory issues.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, James worked as a partner in the corporate group at a national law firm in Sydney. During this time he focused on capital market; corporate governance; financial services advisory; funds management; and megers and acquisitions. Early in his career he was seconded for nine months to work as the legal assistant to the General Counsel of the Australian Securities and Investments Commission.
- The Best Lawyers in Australia®, listed in Commercial Law (2023); Corporate Law (2023); Equity Capital Markets Law (2023); Funds Management (2023); Investment Funds (2023) and Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2023)
- Doyle's Guide, recommended as a Leading Business & Commercial Lawyer – New South Wales (2022); recommended as a Leading Corporate Lawyer – New South Wales (2022); recommended as a Leading Corporate/M&A Lawyer (Small & Mid-Market Matters) – New South Wales (2017); and recommended as a Leading Corporate/M&A Lawyer – NSW (2012)