Jeff Meagher is a partner in the Pittsburgh office. He concentrates his practice on insurance coverage and complex commercial litigation. He has broad litigation and arbitration experience.
In the insurance coverage area, Jeff represents corporate policyholders seeking coverage under many different types of insurance policies. His recent insurance coverage experience includes cases involving commercial general liability policies, cyber policies, crime policies, representations and warranties policies, “Bermuda Form” excess liability policies, pollution liability policies, professional liability policies, property policies, builder’s risk policies, and energy package policies. He also counsels clients regarding their cyber insurance programs and cyber incident response plans outside of litigation.
In the commercial litigation area, Jeff represents both plaintiffs and defendants in disputes arising out of a wide variety of commercial transactions. His recent commercial litigation experience includes representing a financial services sector client in breach of contract/breach of fiduciary duty litigation.
In addition to his core practice areas, Jeff represents pro bono clients seeking Protection From Abuse orders, and he has represented the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy in an appeal before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Prior to law school, Jeff served on the staff of then-U.S. Senate Majority Leader Thomas A. Daschle (D-SD).
- “Cyber Insurance 101,” Guest Lecture at Carnegie Mellon University’s Heinz College of Information Systems, Public Policy and Management, April 21, 2020
- “Cyber Insurance Basics, Trends & Emerging Issues,” Manufacturers Alliance for Productivity and Innovation, Risk Management Council Meeting, Oct. 23, 2019
- Cyber Insurance Trends & Emerging Issues,” Environmental Law Institute, Cybersecurity Program, Sept. 27, 2019
- “Oil & Gas Insurance: Lessons Learned from the Deepwater Horizon Disaster,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Oil & Gas Law Conference, Aug. 8, 2019
- Cybersecurity CLE, K&L Gates Partners’ Retreat, April 15, 2019
- “Starwood, Voya Financial Advisors and GDPR: What Corporate Practitioners Need to Know about Using Insurance for Cyber Liabilities,” Insurance Coverage Training Series (K&L Gates), January 9, 2019
- “Winter is Coming: The HBO Hack, the Equifax Breach and the Future of Cyber Insurance,” Insurance Coverage Training Series (K&L Gates), July 11, 2018
- “Three Things Inside Counsel Should Know About Insurance: Avoiding Traps and Seizing Opportunities in Several Common Situations,” General Counsel University, June 27, 2018 (Pittsburgh, PA)
- Insurance for Cyber Risks in M&A Transactions, Lexis Practice Advisor, June 2018
- Emerging Issues in Bermuda Form Arbitrations, American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee Mid-Year Conference, Feb. 22, 2018.
- Introduction to Oil & Gas Insurance Law, Insurance Coverage Training Series (K&L Gates), Jan. 14, 2015.
- “Renewable Energy Insurers Trying to Limit Coverage for Severe Convective Storms,” POWER magazine, 5 July 2023
- “The Russia-Ukraine conflict and insurance for state-sponsored cyberattacks,” Reuters Legal News, 25 March 2022
- “What You Need to Know About Cyber Extortion Insurance Coverage,” Risk Management Magazine, 18 December 2017
- Pa. Ruling Won’t Lower Bar To Prove Insurer Bad Faith, Law 360, September 28, 2017 (quoted)
- Pa. Employer Liability Exclusion Case May Impact O&G Cos., Law 360, February 2, 2015.
- Cyber Caveat Emptor, LeadersEdge.com, 3 May 2021