Jessica Kang is experienced in management-side employment and labor law issues, including litigation, transactional, and advice and counsel matters. Jessica provides day-to-day advice and counseling regarding employment law matters, and works with national and international companies to draft and maintain global, national and state law compliant employee handbooks and personal documents. Jessica is experienced at providing management and employee training on topics including sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation and abuse conduct, how to conduct effective investigations and management training on compliance with wage and hour laws. Jessica has represented clients of all sizes in various industries from conception through resolution of complex and heavily litigated cases, whether it is an informal settlement, mediation, or an arbitration trial. She represents employers in state, federal, and administrative courts and before the California Labor Commissioner, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Department of Labor Enforcement Standards, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. She also represents employers, including public employers in labor arbitrations regarding union grievances and/or allegations of unfair labor practices.
Prior to joining the firm, Jessica served as an attorney at a prominent U.S. based employment law firm. She has litigation, advising, and counseling experience in a variety of employment law matters, including: discrimination, harassment and retaliation issues, disability accommodations (including administering leaves of absences such as Family and Medical Leave), whistleblowers, unsafe workplace allegations, wrongful termination, defamation, wage, and hour issues, breach of contract disputes and the California Private Attorney General Act.
Jessica has also provided multiple presentations and lectures on California employment laws. She provides harassment, discrimination, and retaliation training and provides clients with advice and counsel on human resource decisions in all aspects of employment law.
- Member, Korean American Bar Association of Washington
- Member, Executive Board of Directors, Korean American Bar Association of Southern California, 2017-2020
- Member, Board of Directors, Korean American Bar Association of Southern California, 2015-2016
- Member, National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Member, Korean American Bar Association of Northern California, 2007-2014
- Member, Pro Bono Committee, Korean American Bar Association of Northern California, 2013 and 2014
- Member, Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area
- "Staying Alive After AB5: Can California Businesses Still “Depend" on Independent Contractors?" Webinar, 21 April 2020
- "COVID-19: How It's Affecting Korean-American Businesses, and Common Employer Questions," Client Webinar, 3 April 2020
- "Southern California Legal Update Series - Long Beach," Hyatt Regency Long Beach, CA, 19 February 2020
- "Accurate and Defensible Job Descriptions for 2018: Refining Your Craft, Avoiding the Common Quandaries, and Protecting Your Organization From Exposure Center for Competitive Management (C4CM)," Webinar, 24 July 2018
- "Southern California Legal Update - Long Beach," Irvine, CA, 23 January 2018
- "Common Employment Issues Facing Business Owners in California," KCon Business Conference 2015, Los Angeles, CA, 31 July 2015