Jonathan Feder leads the Australian intellectual property group. He has experience in a broad range of legal areas relating to intellectual property, including registration of trade marks and designs, trade mark and design enforcement, copyright protection and enforcement, trade practices and licensing of intellectual property rights.
Jonathan acts for a range of well-known brands and has a particular specialty in protecting and enforcing the intellectual property of many well know and leading Australian and overseas fashion houses. He manages and enforces a range of large trade mark portfolios and he has acted for clients in numerous trade mark opposition matters and non-use actions in Australia and New Zealand.
Jonathan has acted for clients in numerous leading intellectual property cases in the Federal Court of Australia including Elwood Clothing v Cotton On Clothing, Seafolly v City Beach, Boutique Homes v Inform Design, Fry Consulting v Sports Warehouse, Deckers v Vaysman, Seafolly v Leah Madden, Review v New Cover Group, Review v Innovative Lifestyle Investments, Caesarstone v Ceramiche Caesar and numerous cases for the G-Star group of companies.
Jonathan prides himself on providing clear and strategic legal advice and achieving commercial outcomes for his clients.
Jonathan completed his articles at a large national Australian law firm in 2003. He has also produced many successful musicals in Australia, Broadway - New York, West End - London and in Toronto, Canada. He sits on the boards of the Melbourne Theatre Company and Opera Australia.
- Recognised by the World Trademark Review 1000 as a Silver - Individual for Enforcement and Litigation in Australia (2023)
- Asia IP, recognised as an IP expert in Australia (2022)
- Best Lawyers (Australia), listed in Intellectual Property Law (2017-present)
- Managing IP Stars, listed as Top Trade Mark Star – Australia (Notable Practitioner) (2021)
- World Trademark Review 1000, recognised for Top Trademark Professionals – Enforcement and Litigation (Silver Ranking) (2021-present)
- Who's Who Legal: Australia, recommended lawyer for IP - Trademarks (2019-2020, 2022)
- Doyle's Guide, recommended as a Leading Contentious Intellectual Property Lawyer in Victoria and recommended as a Leading Non-Contentious Intellectual Property Lawyer in Victoria (2021-present)
- Doyle's Guide, recommended as a Leading Intellectual Property Lawyer in Australia (2018-2021)
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific, recognised as a leading lawyer for Intellectual Property in Australia (2019)
- Melbourne Theatre Company board member since 2010
- Opera Australia board member since 2017
- Member of the advisory board to the Faculty of Fine Arts and Music (Melbourne University) since 2017
- Marques member
- IPSANZ member
- Law Institute of Victoria member
- Awarded Arts Law Community Award in 2013 in recognition of Mr. Feder's pro bono commitment to the Australian entertainment industry.
Jonathan gives numerous presentations on legal issues facing the fashion industry and he has given presentations at various times during the Melbourne Fashion Festival and for the Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ).
- “A Different Beat,” Ragtrader, June 2015
- New IP issues facing the fashion industry, LawyersWeekly.com, 28 March 2023