Jonathan Rue is an associate in the firm's Portland office. He is a member of the Labor, Employment, and Workplace Safety practice. Jon has extensive experience handling discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wrongful termination, and wage and hour claims in state and federal court. He also advises employers on covenants not to compete, non-solicitation agreements, and employee handbooks and policies.
Prior to joining the firm, Jonathan served as an associate at an international labor and employment law firm where he handled matters involving discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wrongful termination, and wage and hour claims in state and federal court. Jonathan also has significant experience conducting pre-litigation investigations and defending companies against administrative complaints, and provided advice to public and private employers of all sizes regarding policies and practices to ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
In addition, Jonathan represented management in union grievances, arbitration proceedings, and Labor Management Relations Act litigation in federal court.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America for Litigation - Labor and Employment, 2021-2024
- Mentor, Maine Center for Entrepreneurs (2020 - 2022)
- Executive Committee Member, Oregon State Bar Civil Rights Section (Mar 2018 - Jun 2019)
- Executive Board Member, People for People, Washington (Jun 2016 - May 2017)
- Executive Board Member, Yakima County Volunteer Attorney Services (Jan 2016 - Apr 2017)
- Neurodiversity in the Workplace - Legal & Practical Issues (Society of Human Resources Professionals, Southern Maine) (Dec 2021)
- Maine Legal Update - Littler’s New England Regional Employer (Nov 2020)
- Returning to Work and the “New Normal": Legal Issues Facing Employers in the Wake of COVID-19 (Littler Online · May 21, 2020)
- “How to Heed your Pragmatic HR Manager’s Advice (And Get Sued Anyway),” The Verdict, OADC 2017 Issue 4
- “Permitting Processed Mine Waste: The Redefinition of ‘Fill’ Under the Clean Water Act and the Impacts on the Pebble Mine Project,” Western Environmental Law Update, 2009
- “Maine Legislative Update: Back to Work Incentives, Ban the Box, Tip Minimum, and Other Developments Affecting Employers,” Littler ASAP, 22 July 2021