Jonathan Lawrence concentrates his practice on restructuring and insolvency matters ---- Legal 500 UK Corporate restructuring & insolvency 2022: “The outstanding Jonathan Lawrence is empathetic, measured, thoughtful and very intelligent – clients feel comfortable with him.” “Jonathan Lawrence clearly knows his stuff, but is also approachable, responsive and commercial.” “Jonathan Lawrence was consistently calm and organsied. His tact when dealing with spurious, opportunistic challenges was a credit to him and a service to us.” “Led by the 'empathetic, measured and thoughtful' Jonathan Lawrence, K&L Gates LLP's sweet-spot lies in its ability to provide 'user-friendly and efficient advice' to its primarily global client base on both solvent restructuring and insolvency situations. 'It is a strong team that is user-friendly and efficient.' 'The team is very forthcoming and responsive.' 'Advice is clearly structured and immediately applicable.'”
Jonathan has been a partner in the London office since 2005 and has over 25 years of legal experience. He advises corporates, directors, lenders, asset acquirers and insolvency practitioners on restructuring and insolvency, and enforcement situations. Jonathan's work is both UK domestic and cross border. He works with creditors and distressed companies themselves, counsels directors faced with business challenges, acts for acquirers of assets from insolvent companies and carries out solvent restructuring and reorganisation of corporate groups.
Jonathan is also assistant general counsel, money laundering compliance and reporting officer and compliance officer for finance and administration in the London office.
Jonathan has long experience of debt finance and Islamic finance transactional and advisory work. He is a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of International Banking & Financial Law and sits on the Consultation Board of Practical Law Finance. He also writes regularly on restructuring & insolvency and fintech issues.
Jonathan joined the firm as a partner in 2005. He had previously been an associate with a London-based international law firm from 2000 until 2005. He had worked as a trainee lawyer and an associate with another international law firm from 1995 to 2000
- Co-General Editor of Practical Lending and Security Precedents (Thomson Reuters loose-leaf)
- Consultation Board Member of Practical Law Finance
- Editorial Board Member of the Journal of International Banking & Financial Law
- Member of the Law Society of England and Wales
- Ambassador, Hospice UK
- Supporter, The Albert Kennedy Trust (working to end LGBTQ youth homelessness)
- "The Position of Directors of Financially Distressed Companies,” Real Estate Finance Journal, Winter 2022
- “Rights of Foreign Currency Creditors in English Insolvency Proceedings,” The Banking Law Journal, September 2017
- “Commercial Mortgage Loans and CMBS: Developments in the European Market,” Chapter 19, Sweet & Maxwell, November 2016
- “Intangibles: The Next Frontier of the Islamic Economy,” 20 December 2015
- Meet a Mentor Profile, Allen & Overy Alumni Network, 28 February 2019
- Quoted, “Brexit Could Spell Opportunity for Islamic FinTech,” Payments Compliance, 13 September 2017