Michael Evans is a partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. He is a member of the Public Policy and Law practice group, and focuses his practice on federal tax, health care, trade, and environmental policy.
Mike is a former Democratic chief counsel and deputy staff director for the U.S. Senate Finance Committee, which has jurisdiction over federal tax, trade, and health care matters. He has worked on major federal policy issues, including the Inflation Reduction Act and major tax and spending legislation process, for more than four decades, and he is considered a leading expert on Senate procedure. He has served on the U.S. Senate staff for more than 26 years, including 18 years as chief counsel to two separate Senate committees. Mike also worked in private practice for 15 years, where he represented business, governmental, and nonprofit clients in both law and lobbying matters.
Mike joined the staff of U.S. Sen. Max Baucus of Montana in 1983, serving for nearly 20 years as a legislative assistant (tax and trade), legislative director, Democratic chief counsel to the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, and Democratic chief counsel and deputy staff director to the Senate Finance Committee. In 2003, Michael became a partner at K&L Gates, where he worked for more than a decade.
In 2014, Mike returned to the Senate, again as Democratic chief counsel and deputy staff director to the Senate Finance Committee, this time under Sen. Ron Wyden of Oregon. In that role, Mike advised Sen. Wyden, party leadership, and other Democratic senators regarding Senate procedure, constitutional and other legal matters, substantive tax, trade, and health care policy, and political strategy, and he helped oversee the work of the Committee's Democratic professional staff. He was heavily involved in the development of major tax, health care, and trade legislation, including the Inflation Reduction Act (2022), the American Rescue Plan (2021), the CARES COVID recovery Act (2020), and the Trade Promotion Act of 2015.
Mike also is an expert on the work of William Shakespeare, particularly as it pertains to political leadership.
- Honorary doctoral degree, Salem State University (2016)
- Adjunct professor of political science, Salem State University
- John C. Stennis Center for Public Service, Senior Fellow
- “Shakespeare and Congress,” U.S. Capitol Historical Society, 2019 (available on C-SPAN) Henry M. Jackson Fellows: The Role of Congressional Staff (2016-2021)
- Max Baucus Congressional Fellows: The Role of Congressional Staff (2017 & 2018)
- George Washington University Masters in Public Policy Program: The Congressional “Markup” Process (2016-2022)
- Advanced Energy Economy: Energy Policy and Tax Reform (2014)
- The Tax Council: The Impact of Procedure on Tax Reform (2017)
- Berkeley-Haas School of Business: Issues Before the Senate Finance Committee (2018-2021)
- Salem State University: Issues Before the Senate Finance Committee (2016-2022)
- The New England Council: Issues Before the Senate Finance Committee (2016)
- John C. Stennis Congressional Fellowship Program: Several panel discussions regarding the role of Congressional staff
- Many informal remarks to Washington, D.C. tax groups
- “Shakespeare, Congress, and the Folger Library,” The Capital Dome, Winter 2022
- “Shakespeare's Guide to Tax Policy,” Tax Notes, 2009
- “A Source of Frequent and Obstinate Altercations: The History and Application of the Constitution’s Origination Clause,” Tax Notes, 2004
- “The Budget Process and the Sunset Provision of the 2001 Tax Law," Tax Notes, 2003
- “The New Rules for Limited Tax Benefits in Tax Legislation,” Tax Notes, 200*
- Quoted, “Retirement, 1099-K Fixes May Be This Year’s Easiest Tax Vehicles,” Tax Notes, 6 February 2023
- Quoted, “Wyden Gains Subpoena Power, Easier Nominations Path in Majority,” Bloomberg Tax and Bloomberg Law News, 8 December 2022
- Mentioned, "Ahead of Midterms, K&L Gates Boosts Policy Team With Arrival of Former Senate Finance Committee Chief Counsel," Law.com, 26 October 2022
- Mentioned, "K&L Gates Brings Partner Back After Years On Senate Staff," Law360, 26 October 2022
- Mentioned, "Democrats' top Senate finance committee lawyer joins K&L Gates," Thomson Reuters, 26 October 2022
- Mentioned, "POLITICO Playbook PM: Another abortion accuser for Herschel Walker," POLITICO, 26 October 2022
- Mentioned, "Compliance Hot Spots: Preparing for GOP-Led Investigations + CFPB Funding Structure Ruled Unconstitutional + Google's Novel Compliance Settlement," Law.com, 26 October 2022
- Mentioned, "Former Senate Finance Committee Chief Counsel Rejoins K&L Gates," Bloomberg Law, 26 October 2022
- Mentioned, "Lobbying world," The Hill, 26 October 2022
- Mentioned, "Wake Up Call: Cybersecurity Startup’s GC Exits Amid 198 Layoffs," Bloomberg Law, 26 October 2022
- Mentioned, "K&L Gates hires Wyden’s Byrd rule whisperer," POLITICO, 25 October 2022