Michaela Moloney is a partner in the labour, employment and workplace safety practice, providing advice and supporting employers in all aspects of employment, industrial and discrimination law. She has significant expertise supporting government organisations and providing advice in the health and sporting industries.
In sensitive and high risk matters, Michaela is known as being a trusted advisor to her clients' C-suite, board and senior management and supports organisations to manage both internal and external stakeholders. She conducts complex workplace investigations, including whistleblower complaints, particularly where allegations are levelled at members of senior management.
Michaela prides herself on partnering with clients to deliver proactive, straight talking practical solutions that align with an organisation's objectives and values. She works with clients to understand their requirements and seek an early resolution of workplace issues, whether they be individual grievances or collective disputes.
Where litigated claims cannot be avoided, Michaela has significant litigation experience and has successfully defended a number of large Australian employers in claims including unfair dismissal, discrimination, industrial disputes, general protections and breach of contract in the state and federal courts.
As a mediator, Michaela is able to facilitate mediations in all areas of employment and industrial law including bullying, discrimination and sexual harassment. She is also regularly invited to present training across the scope of her employment, safety, industrial relations and discrimination law expertise.
- Australasian Lawyer, named as a Leading Female Lawyers in Australia | Elite Woman (2023)
- Lawyers Weekly, finalist in the Partner of the Year Awards for Employment (2023)
- International Employment Lawyer, Women Leaders (2022)
- Chambers Asia Pacific, ranked individual in Employment - Australia (2022-present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia™, listed as 'Lawyer of the Year' for Employee Benefits Law (2022)
- Australasian Lawyer, listed 'Elite Women 2021'
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in Australia™ for Employee Benefits Law (2021–present)
- Lawyers Weekly, finalist in the Partner of the Year Awards for Workplace Relations/Employment (2020 and 2021)
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in Australia™ for Labour and Employment Law (2018–present)
- Listed in the Best Lawyers in Australia™ for Occupational Health and Safety Law (2020–present)
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific, recognised for Labour and Employment
- Doyle's Guide, listed in Employment Lawyer for Employer Representation (2019)
- Employment and Industrial Law Committee of the Workplace Relations Section of the Law Institute of Victoria member
- Australian Human Resources Institute member
- Board Member, Women's Information Referral Exchange
- 17 May 2023, “Law Week 2023: Paid Family and Domestic Violence Leave Introduced - A Step in the Right Direction but More Needs to be Done,” Victorian Women Lawyers