Mikal Shaikh is a partner in the firm’s Raleigh office, and primarily practices in the areas of corporate law and securities law. He has broad experience representing clients in connection with public and private offerings of debt and equity securities, corporate formations and related matters, technology, employment and other contracts in the ordinary course of business, corporate governance matters, compliance with securities laws and stock exchange rules, public company reporting, and internal and external corporate investigations.
Public and private offerings of securities represent the largest element of Mikal’s practice. He regularly represents private companies, as well as venture capital and angel investors, in successive rounds of convertible preferred stock, convertible bridge debt and SAFE financings. With respect to public companies, Mikal has represented issuers and underwriters in underwritten offerings, registered direct offerings, CMPO transactions, PIPE transactions, and private placements of common stock, notes, convertible debentures and convertible preferred stock, as well as related warrants.
As part of his broad practice, Mikal has also assisted clients with employment and non-competition matters, mergers and acquisition transactions, intellectual property transactions, dispute resolution matters, equity and deferred compensation arrangements, commercial contracts, and secured and unsecured credit facilities. Clients that he has represented span a broad range of industries, with a particular focus on life sciences and information technology.
Prior to joining the firm, Mikal served as a partner at a full-service North Carolina law firm where he focused his practice in the areas of corporate and securities law. Before that, he practiced in the Washington, DC office of a global law firm, where he focused on capital markets transactions and representation in connection with securities enforcement matters. Mikal is listed in The Best Lawyers in America©, 2021.
- Lecture regarding financing strategies, Kenan-Flagler Business School, UNC Chapel Hill, April 2019
- “Equity Compensation Strategies and Common Pitfalls,” RTP CFO Forum, November 2017"
- Public Company Financings - Forms of Equity and Debt Financing,” Smith Anderson Securities Law Breakfast Series, May 2017
- “Legal Issues for Start-Ups,” Licensing Executives Society RTP, November 2016
- “Legal Issues Facing Start-Ups,” NC State PackStart, November 2016
- “Building Better Bylaws,” Smith Anderson Executive Roundtable Series, May 2015
- “Art of the Venture Deal - Securities Law Issues You Need to Consider,” Smith Anderson CLE, May 2013