Paris Petranis is a corporate and commercial lawyer with a background in health law and policy, having previously worked as a healthcare professional for almost 10 years. His practice focuses exclusively on the aged care/retirement living, health and therapeutic good sectors, with a particular emphasis on arrangements with aged care providers, healthcare providers, health facilities (including medical centres, hospitals and day procedure centres), pathology, diagnostic imaging and private health insurance.
Paris advises clients on a range of issues affecting the above industries including compliance with regulatory requirements, contracting, risk management, privacy, structuring and mergers and acquisitions.
His clients include some of Australia's most well known companies in the health, aged care/retirement living and therapeutic goods sectors and comprise for-profit and not-for-profit entities, as well as government entities.
Paris is an Associate Fellow of the Australasian College of Health Service Management and has previously served on the Health Services Review Council in Victoria.
Prior to joining the firm, Paris worked as a health care professional for almost 10 years and then spent over a decade at a large national Australian law firm.
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed as 'Lawyer of the Year' for Commercial Law (2023)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed as 'Lawyer of the Year' for Health and Aged Care (2022)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Commercial Law (2020-present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Health and Aged Care Law (2014-present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2019-present)
- RJ Hamer Prize (for Constitutional and Administrative Law)
- Harry Emerton Law Scholarship (for Criminal Law and Procedure)
- John Iliffe Scholarship in Bachelor of Dental Science (received this award on two occasions)
- Bertha Bennett Prize in Dental Sciences
- Auxiliary Prize in Dental Science
- Australasian College of Health Service Management Associate Fellow
- Law Institute of Victoria member
- Served on the Health Services Review Council in Victoria
- "Lessons from the field – what’s happening with mergers and acquisitions" co- presented at Leading Age Services Australia Congress, 12 October 2015.
- "It's all about the members" presented with Vanessa Baic at the Informa 2015 Health Insurance Summit, 29 July 2015.
- "Compliance Issues: Misleading and Deceptive Conduct" presented at Private Healthcare Australia, Private Health Insurance Code of Conduct seminar, 21 July 2015.
- "What To Look Out For In Aged Care / Retirement Village Transactions" presented at Legalwise Aged Care and Retirement Villages Law Conference 2015 on 18 June 2015.
- "Implementing Integrated Housing and Services Solutions" presented at Leading Age Services Australia Inaugural Congress, 30 October, 2012.
- "Integrated Housing and Care Offerings" presented at Aged Care Association Australia Annual Congress, 7 November, 2011.
- "Privacy – Where Pharma Gets It Wrong and How To Get It Right" presented at Pharmaceutical Law Conference, 25 July, 2011.
- "Practical Considerations in Commercial Contracts" presented to the Leo Cussen Institute, 6 October, 2010.
- Paris is also a regular presenter on issues of relevance to the aged care/retirement village industries and has presented at the last three Aged Care Association Australia Annual Congresses and a number of Leading Age Services Australia Congress.
- "Symbion Medical Centre Operations Pty Ltd v Alexander," Australian Health Law Bulletin, January 2011, Co-author.
- "A strong dose of regulation to shake up industry," Australian Health & Medical Law, September 23, 2005, Co-author.
- “Best practice processes for university research commercialisation – final report”, Australian Biotechnology, June 30, 2003, Co-author.