Robert Matlin is a partner in the corporate group of the firm. He has broad experience in counseling public and private corporations, private equity, hedge and venture capital funds, and entrepreneurs across a broad spectrum of legal issues, with particular emphasis on, mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, registered direct offerings, PIPES, SPACS, private placements, securities reporting requirements, RTOs, private equity acquisitions, venture financings, joint ventures and general corporate matters in a wide range of industries. In addition, he counsels corporations and their boards of directors on matters of corporate governance.
Robert believes the keys to a successful attorney-client relationship are a strong understanding of a client’s business, regular communications, fast response and practical solutions to business law issues.
Robert has represented issuers, underwriters, investors and placement agents in public and private offerings of equity, debt and convertible securities and is the regular securities law counsel to numerous publicly held corporations based in the U.S. and Asia. He has assisted them with periodic reporting requirements, exchange listings and other compliance matters relating to the public securities markets.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Robert has represented both U.S. and multinational purchasers and sellers of a broad range of businesses including, technology, digital media, Internet-based products, software, hardware, consulting services, financial services, telecommunications, chemicals, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and consumer products. He is regularly involved in both public and private transactions.
General Corporate Counseling and Governance
Robert provides general corporate counseling, primarily to publicly held corporations and their boards of directors, on a broad range of issues, including obligations of directors and corporate governance matters.
- American Bar Association
Robert regularly lectures on a variety of corporate and securities matters. He has also been widely quoted in numerous national and international publications.
- SPACs - What? How? Why? - A Recent Capital Market Phenomenon, Podcast, 1 April 2021
- SPACs: What You Need to Know, Webinar, 8 April 2021
- Co-Author, “The Practice Guide to PIPEs” Matlin & Ogurick, LexisNexis, 2017 and 2018
- Contributing Author, “Securities Practice Guide,” LexisNexis, 2009 to present
- "Alphabet Soup: Companies Looking for Alternative Financing have an Expanding Menu of Alternatives to Choose From," The Deal, March 27, April 2, 2006
- Co-Author, “Structuring of Venture Backed Companies,” Practising Law Institute, 2004