Stephen Hardy is a partner in the labour, employment and workplace safety practice. Stephen is an established practitioner who represents Australian and international clients on a variety of employment matters. These include human resources, industrial relations, executive, business protection and complex compliance related matters, the employment aspects of mergers and acquisitions, workplace restructuring and business transformation. This work is undertaken for clients across a wide range of industries including banking and financial services, insurance, retail, transport, waste management, maufacturing, information technology, leisure, media and entertainment, property, and professional services.
Stephen is well-known for his experience across the breadth of labour and employment related matters and also has a specialist workplace health and safety practice leading high profile and sensitive safety investigations, responding to workplace crises, establishing and auditing safety systems, defending prosecutions and appearing at coronial inquests.
Working with his clients to structure effective workforces, Stephen supports clients on their enterprise bargaining and industrial disputes. When organisations experience significant change, Stephen is experienced at achieving the due diligence required to support mergers and acquisitions activities.
An experienced litigator, Stephen works closely with clients on their industrial, employment and executive related disputes. He ensures clients are advocated for in state and federal courts and industrial tribunals, and supporting clients with their workplace health and safety liabilities.
Known by clients for his pragmatic approach to solutions-led legal advice, Stephen advises clients on understanding core legal elements of their business objectives, providing a clear path to a commercial solution and regularly conducts training sessions for management, executives and boards of directors.
Prior to joining the Firm, Stephen was a Partner at a large global law firm based in Sydney.
- Listed as a Next Generation Partner, Asia Pacific Legal 500, Labour and Employment (2021). "Stephen Hardy has been incredibly helpful and responsive, and I rely on him extensively. He always adopts a pragmatic approach and offers practical tips that make it is easy to put his advice into action. He also works really well with non-legal clients in the business, by providing very clear, straightforward and easily-understood guidance." – Asia Pacific Legal 500, Labour and Employment (2021)
- World Rugby, Tribunal Member (2018 – Current)
- Judicial Officer - Oceana Rugby (2018 - Current)
- Judicial Officer – SANZAAR (2017 – Current)
- Australian Rugby Union Judiciary Tribunal Member
- Previous Australian Rugby Union Contracted Part-time Referee (2008 – 2011)
- Previous New South Wales Rugby Union Referee (2003 – 2013)