Thomas Johnson acts as trial and litigation and strategic legal planning counsel for corporate and individual clients and for non-profit institutions. Representing both plaintiffs and defendants, individuals and entities, he has handled antitrust, aviation, bankruptcy, class action, commercial, dealer termination, director and officer liability, employment law, fiduciary surcharge, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, fraud, insurance coverage, lender liability, personal injury, product liability, False Claims Act, securities, oil and gas, shareholder derivative and trust and estates cases and conducted confidential internal investigations. Thomas has represented clients in disputes throughout North America, South America, Europe and Asia.
For more than 30 years, Thomas has promoted lawsuit prevention, early case assessment and Alternative Dispute Resolution mechanisms for cost-effective resolution of disputes and has organized private trials, mini trials, fast tracking, arbitration and mediation to resolve disputes. For over 10 years, Thomas served as ADR counsel to K&L Gates lawyers and clients and represented the Firm to ADR providers.
- Appointed Honorary Consul for The Netherlands in Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania, March 8, 2018.
- Speaker: Evangelical Seminary Deans’ Council, Phoenix, AZ, “Selected 2017 Issues Facing Seminaries and Divinity Schools,” February 2017.
- Named as one of Pennsylvania’s Super Lawyers for the past 8+ years.
- Named to the 2018 and 2020 Best Lawyers in America as “Lawyer of the Year” for Securities/Capital Markets Law.
- Recognized in 2018 Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation and Securities/Capital Markets Law.
- Mr. Johnson is frequently a Lecturer/Panelist on continuing legal education programs and seminars.
- Mr. Johnson serves the Federal Court as an appointed Adjunct Settlement Judge under the court’s Early Neutral Evaluation Program
- American Inns of Court
- Speaker: Center for Effective Dispute Resolution, London: “ADR in the Colonies.”
- Author: “What Works in the Colonies; ADR in 2006,” The Lawyer
- Author, Presenter: “Worldly Matters: Legal Issues Facing Seminaries and Theological Schools,” December 2011
- Association of Theological Seminaries in the United States and Canada: Member of Board 1999-2008; Treasurer and member of Executive Committee 2005-2008; Chair of Association Support Committee 2001-2008; a member of accreditation appeals panel 2010-present
- Center for Hearing and Deaf Services: Member, Board of Directors 1987-2005; Chair of the Board 1998-2001
- Presbyterian Church, Sewickley: Ruling Elder 1986-1992, 2002-2008; Member, Personnel and Planning Council 1986-2010; Personnel Council Chair 1989-1992, 2003-2008; Chair, Associate Pastor Search Committee 1992-93; Chair, Stewardship Committee 1994-1995
- Princeton Theological Seminary: Trustee, since 1991; Chair, Seminary Relations Committee 1997-2005; Chair, Facilities Committee 2005-2009; Chair-Audit Committee 2009-2012; Chair, Trustee nominations and Governance Committee 2012-2014; Executive Committee 2005-present; Member, Presidential Search Committee 2003-2004, and 2011-2012; Chair, Audit and Financial Affairs Committee 2018-present
- Princeton University: Chairman, Board of Governors, Class of 1968, 2005-2009
- The Clan Donald Educational Trust: Trustee 2005- present; Solicitor 2005-present
- Heritage Valley Health System: Director, 2005-2014; Chair, Governance and Board Development Committee 2006-2011; Chair, Risk and Compliance Committee 2011-2014; Investment Committee 2012-present
- Participant in management of non-profit endowments ranging from approximately $150,000 to over $1 billion
- Director, The Assemblage Group, Ltd., HJY Investments, Inc., Serendipity, Inc.
- The Duquesne Club
- Married to Catherine Clarke Johnson since 1969
- Father of Elizabeth, Laurel and Chris
- Grandfather of Genna, Aly, Trevor (2003-2005), Chase and Ellie