Cameron Abbott is a co-practice group coordinator for the global commercial technology and sourcing group and is also the privacy officer for the firm's Australian offices. He also leads and regularly writes posts for the K&L Gates blog on Cyber Law Watch.
Cameron is a corporate lawyer who focuses on technology, cybersecurity and privacy matters. He assists corporations and vendors in managing their technology requirements and contracts, particularly large outsourcing and technology procurement issues including licensing terms for SAP and Oracle and major system integration transactions.
Cameron partners with his clients to ensure market leading solutions are implemented in to their businesses. He concentrates on managing and negotiating complex technology solutions, which regularly span multiple jurisdictions as well as advising on electronic data retention and data privacy issues. In telecommunications he has helped clients navigate the pitfalls of rolling out ISP networks, Australia's first wholesale fiber to the home telecommunications networks and several embedded networks.
He partners with his clients, many of whom are utilities and heavy asset industries, to ensure market leading solutions are implemented with the best risk mitigation possible while retaining value for money commercials. With the deep focus around key platform implementations, Cameron brings a detailed understanding of the approach and likely positions of all the major vendors in the market on key risk issues. Cameron acts for a range of large listed corporations, government corporations and departments as well as multi-national system integrators and software vendors. He has many years of experience working on transactions to and from Asia, especially India.
- Doyles Guide listed as Leading in Leading Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyers – Victoria, 2023
- Best Lawyers in Australia™, listed for Information Technology Law (2014-present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia™, listed for Privacy and Data Security Law (2017-present)
- Who’s Who Legal, listed for Data in Australia (2023)
- Lexology, recognised, along with K&L Gates, as the exclusive Legal Influencer for TMT - Australasia (2018) (Content Marketing Awards)
- Best Lawyers in Australia™, listed as 'Lawyer of the Year' for Information Technology Law (2018)
- Monash MBA Certificate of Merit – Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Monash MBA Certificate of Merit – Managing People at Work
- Melbourne University, LLB – Prize: Jurisprudence
- Melbourne University, LLB – Prize: Civil Procedure and Evidence
- Internet Industry Association member
- Australian Indian Business Council member
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand member
- Victorian Society for Computers and the Law member
- "Privacy Reforms", Australian Corporate Lawyers Association (ACLA), Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth, 2013
- "Indian Australia Trade", Victorian Government Trade Mission Forum, 2012
- "Cloud Computing", Quest Conference, CIO Forum, 2012
- "Trends in Outsourcing", ACLA Conference, 2010
- "Creating Service Levels", LexisNexis, 2010
- "There's a breach," Ragtrader, February 2018
- "SMEs face privacy burden with Federal Government moves towards mandatory notification of data breaches", Smartcompany.com.au, October 19, 2012
- "Avoiding the data centre property trap", Computerworld, September 20, 2012; and CIO Magazine September, 2012 * "Council opens passage to India", The Australian Financial Review, June 18, 2012
- "Privacy Bill passed by Parliament – important changes for organisations", Computerworld November, 2012