Hayley Trahan-Liptak is a partner in the Investigations, Enforcement, and White Collar practice group. Her practice focuses on government investigations, regulatory enforcement actions, internal investigations, white-collar defense, and complex civil litigation matters.
Hayley represents public companies, individuals, investment advisors, and financial institutions before various state and federal regulators and enforcement authorities, including the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA). Hayley frequently conducts internal investigations and compliance program reviews, including reviews related to accounting practices, anti-money laundering, and anti-corruption compliance. Her experience includes defending and guiding clients through each juncture of a government investigation, from subpoena responses and interviews through negotiations with the government and settlement.
Her experience includes, among other things:
- Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and other anti-corruption and anti-bribery laws;
- Insider trading, accounting fraud, and other securities fraud allegations;
- Data privacy and cross-border transfer of data in compliance with global data privacy laws;
- Internal investigations and compliance program reviews, including accounting practices, anti-money laundering, and anti-corruption compliance; and
- Securities fraud claims stemming from the sale of unregistered digital assets.
Hayley is an active participant with Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) and the Political Asylum/Immigration Representation (PAIR) project, representing unaccompanied immigrant children in immigration proceedings. She serves as a Executive Board Member for the Massachusetts 4-H Foundation.
In addition to her time as a member of the Investigations, Enforcement, and White Collar practice group Hayley has a background in financial service litigation, class action defense, appellate advocacy, and general business litigation cases. She also has experience in the firm's corporate department, assisting with mergers and acquisitions, stock financings, IPOs, and commercial contracts. While a student at Boston College Law, Hayley worked in the Trial Division of the Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General. She was a Summer Associate at K&L Gates in 2013.
- Executive Board Member, Massachusetts 4-H Foundation
- “Lenders May Be the Next Government Focus for PPP Fraud,” The Banking Law Journal, June 2023
- Note, Prohibiting Barriers to the Booth: The Case for a Limited Extension of Nationwide Preclearance, 34 B.C. J.L. & SOC. JUST. (2013).
- Contributing Author, Breaking Barriers, The Unfinished Story of Women Lawyers and Judges in Massachusetts (Patti Saris, Margot Botsford, Barbara Berenson eds., 2012)
- Quoted, “Lawyer Breaks Down SEC’s Sweep of Advisors’ Texts,” Think Advisor, 26 April 2023