John ReVeal is a partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office and a member of the consumer financial services practice group. He concentrates his practice on bank regulation, consumer financial compliance, and Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering matters.
John routinely advises clients with respect to the following laws and regulations:
- Bank Secrecy Act
- Truth in Lending Act and Regulation Z
- Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act and Regulation X
- Equal Credit Opportunity Act and Regulation B
- Fair Credit Reporting Act and Regulation V
- Electronic Fund Transfers Act and Regulation E
- Truth in Savings Act and Regulation DD
- Consumer Leasing Act and Regulation M
- Consumer Privacy Provisions of the Gramm-Leach Bliley Act and state law equivalents
John also advises bank and non-bank lenders on state interest and usury matters, advises financial institutions regarding bank and savings association powers, federal preemption, and exportation of interest rates and fees, and assists clients in identifying lender licensing requirements and obtaining the necessary licenses.
John’s Bank Secrecy Act work includes the development and implementation of enterprise-wide compliance management programs; enterprise-wide BSA/AML compliance programs; annual compliance and BSA/AML risk assessments; and assisting financial institutions in preparing for and responding to BSA/AML compliance examinations. John is a Certified Anti-Money-Laundering Specialist (“CAMS”).
Prior to joining the firm, John was a partner at another international law firm. Prior to then, he was senior in-house consumer compliance counsel for a major federal savings association.
- Speaker, 2018 Consumer Financial Services Symposium, 3 December 2018.
- Speaker, Scary Topics and Spooky Trends in FinTech Webinar, November 2018.
- Harvard Law School-Berkeley Law Exchange Program, 1989-1990
- “Fintech Guide Overview,” Chambers & Partners, 2019
- “Initial coin offerings: key US legal considerations for ICO investors and sponsors,” Journal of Investment Compliance (JOIC), Vol. 19, Issue: 1, June 2018