Simon Casinader is a special counsel in the Intellectual Property group based in the firm's London office. Before moving to London in 2018, Simon had previously worked in the Melbourne office since qualifying in 2012. Simon is an intellectual property lawyer with extensive experience in protecting and enforcing intellectual property rights on a global basis across multiple jurisdictions.
His experience includes developing and enforcing global brand protection strategies on matters for trade mark, copyright and design owners, and providing contentious and non-contentious advice in relation to all aspects of intellectual property law.
Simon works with his clients to prosecute, manage and enforce international trade mark and design portfolios and regularly advises on related clearance issues. His broad range of experience includes prosecuting UK, EU, Australian, New Zealand, and international trade mark and design applications as well as acting and appearing in contentious trade mark and patent opposition proceedings before the UKIPO and the EUIP, IP Australia and IPONZ.
Simon has represented clients in legal proceedings concerning patent, trade mark, design and copyright infringement, passing off, unfair competition as well as the misuse of confidential information and trade practices cases before the High Court and the Intellectual Property Enterprise Court in the UK as well as the Federal Court of Australia and the Supreme Court of Victoria. Additionally, Simon has worked across domestic, regional, and global litigation, enforcement and arbitration matters.
Simon also assists client with a wide range of online conduct matters including the recovery of domain names registered in bad faith, eCommerce disputes and social media issues and he has specific experience in developing, managing and enforcing anti-counterfeiting campaigns and customs programs for clients.
- Recognised by The Legal 500 United Kingdom edition as a Recommended Lawyer for Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design in London, 2024
- Recognised as a Rising Star–London by Managing Int ellectual Property IP Stars, 2022
- Recognised as a Notable Practitioner–London by Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars, 2021
- Recognised as a Rising Star–Australia by Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars, 2018
- MARQUES - Copyright Team Member
- The Chartered Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys member
- AIPPI member
- Anti-Counterfeiting Group member
- Member of the K&L Gates Firmwide LGBTQ+ Subcommittee, LGBTQ+ Initiative Lead for the K&L Gates London office and member of the K&L Gates London office Diversity & Inclusion committee.
- Simon regularly presents at events, conferences and webinars on IP, advertising and consumer law and delivers client training in these areas.
- MARQUES Copyright Team Seminar “Rights Clearance For Advertising Campaigns” (March 2022, Barcelona)
- Anti-Counterfeiting Group Webinar “Perspective of IP Rights Post-Brexit" (September 2020, online)
- Simon was the runner-up in the 2014 Law Institute of Victoria Golden Gavel competition as well as a participant in the IPSANZ Victorian Christmas Moot 2014 and the 2015 Legal Comedy Debate (as part of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival).
- "The Business and Law of Fashion and Retail," International Issues, Carolina Academic Press, August 2020
- “Zara vs. Zara,” Ragtrader, August 2019
- “Social Sense,” Ragtrader, July 2019
- “A 'Spotlight' on copyright,” Ragtrader, 1 March 2019
- “Slave, no more,” Ragtrader, 1 January 2019
- “Social Butterflies,” Ragtrader, 1 October 2018
- “Designed To Last,” Ragtrader, 1 September 2018
- “Drawing Parallels,” Ragtrader, 1 August 2018
- “Owning your domain,” Ragtrader, March 2018
- “Cash for comment,” Ragtrader, June 2016
- “The online dilemma,” Ragtrader, August 2015
- “Wait, that's mine!” Ragtrader, July 2015