Allen Bachman is a partner in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. His practice spans the field of competition law, including U.S. and international merger clearance, complex antitrust litigation, and federal and state government investigations.
Allen is a key member of the firm’s international merger clearance practice, managing matters that require coordination of complex competition filings across multiple jurisdictions and representing clients in highly contested substantive reviews before the U.S. antitrust agencies.
The bulk of Allen’s practice is comprised of advocating on behalf of K&L Gates before the U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division or Federal Trade Commission. He has also appeared as lead counsel before competition authorities outside the United States including China’s State Administration for Market Regulation (SAMR), the Canadian Competition Bureau, Mexico’s Federal Economic Competition Commission, and the Romanian Competition Council.
Allen is also an antitrust litigator, having appeared as lead antitrust counsel for clients in federal courts throughout the United States. He is among a handful of attorneys that have litigated merger clearance decisions in federal court having successfully represented Arch Coal in the landmark FTC v Arch Coal decision.
Prior to joining the firm, Allen was a commercial litigation and antitrust partner at another Washington, D.C. law firm. Before he began practicing law, he served as an economic analyst for the U.S. Department of Justice Antitrust Division.
- American Bar Association - Antitrust Section
- “Expanded Merger Review Under the Biden FTC: Implications for Horizontal and Vertical M&A,” Strafford CLE, 2 February 2022 (co-presenter)
- “Crafting Divestiture Packages in M&A Transactions to Overcome Increased Antitrust Regulatory Scrutiny,” Strafford CLE, November 2016
- “Top Ten Things In-House Counsel Should Know About US Antitrust Law,” Pittsburgh CLE Seminar, August 2012
- “Master the Antitrust Basics Lecture Series: Clayton Act § 7,” American Bar Association Antitrust Committee
- Quoted, "Did DOJ Overreach in Suing to Block Change Healthcare Deal?" Health Payer Specialist, 21 September 2022
- "Extension Of The HSR Waiting Period Increases Acquirer Risk," Law360, 15 October 2021
- “Shipping Act Antitrust Exemption Held for the First Time to Preempt State Antitrust Laws,” Law360, 16 September 2015
- Quoted, “Can Room Key Be the Great Equalizer?,” Lodging Hospitality, February 2012
- Co-author, “Looking Beyond the Oceans - The International Reach of the US Antitrust Laws,” Legal Times, 20 March 2006