Douglas Stanford is a commercial transactions and finance attorney with national scope and experience in all aspects of real estate and asset-based commercial transactions and contract law.
Douglas’s practice is concentrated on complex purchase and sale and financing transactions; mergers, acquisitions and restructurings; private equity transactions, capital formation and structuring; commercial real estate ownership, leasing and financing; mortgage and asset-based lending; and loan workouts and restructurings.
Douglas’s services include negotiation of joint venture agreements, asset and real estate buy/sell agreements, leases, and asset and real estate-based financing documentation. His transactional work often involves capital sourcing and portfolio vehicle entity formation and structuring, including limited partnership and limited liability company joint venture relationships, and private equity funds, both domestically and internationally.
Within these areas of concentration, Douglas has substantial experience in acquisition, financing, development, ownership and leasing of retail shopping centers and big box retailers with emphasis on supermarket and grocery retailers; commercial and medical offices; restaurants, hotels, resorts and golf courses; multifamily housing including market rate, student, senior and HUD projects; warehousing and distribution; manufacturing and industrial including food and beverage production; and agribusiness with emphasis on dairy and timber production.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Douglas was of counsel and a real estate business lawyer in the Orlando and Miami offices of another international law firm. He was a member of the firm’s real estate and finance & financial institutions practice and hospitality & leisure industry team.
- Peer Review Rated as AV® preeminent™, the highest performance rating in Martindale-Hubbell's peer review rating system.
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America© since 2006 for his work in real estate, including Best Lawyers in Orlando and Best Lawyers in South Florida.
- Recognized in the 2003–2010 editions of Chambers USA for his work in real estate law.
- Recognized as a leading expert in real estate by The Legal 500 in 2007.
- Included among the 2009 top transaction and finance lawyers by The Legal 500 in the Florida real estate and construction category.
- Hong Kong Association of Florida (HKAFL)
- International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- South Florida Manufacturers Association (SFMA)