Liz Thomas is a partner in the firm's Seattle office and member of the firm's energy, Infrastructure, and resources practice.
Liz has a national practice, concentrating in a range of matters related to energy and water regulation, transactions and project development. This includes:
- Regulatory matters in mergers, asset acquisitions, and other transactions
- Licensing, re-licensing, and compliance for hydropower facilities
- Siting, permitting, and development of renewable and traditional energy facilities
- Conducting litigation involving energy facilities, water rights. and rates
- Advising clients on public policy issues
Law Clerk, Hon. A. David Mazzone, United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 1979-80
- Best Lawyers’ 2012 Seattle Energy Law Lawyer of the Year.
- Named a Best Lawyer in America by Best Lawyers, Energy Law, 2009-2018
- Past Member, Legal Foundation of Washington Board of Trustees (appointed by Washington State Supreme Court), 2011-2014; President, 2014
- Past member Climate Solutions Board of Directors, 2005-2010
- Chair, Energy Facility Siting Process Review Committee, 1993-1994
- “New horizons in corporate energy sourcing: Life—and pain points—on the cutting edge,” presented at Women in Power Conference (May 2017)
- “New Regional Energy Needs: The Promise of Pumped Hydropower Storage,” presented at Hydropower in the Northwest Conference (October 2014)
- “The Business of Renewable Energy - Integrating Intermittent Resources,” presented at Washington Future Energy Conference (November 2012)
- “Looking Past Coal,” presented at Northwest & Intermountain Power Producers Coalition annual conference (September 2012)
- “News from the Intersection of GMA and Water Rights: Kittitas County v. EWGMHB,” presented at 20th Annual Conference on Growth Management and Land Use (LSI, November 2011)
- “Bridging the Gap between Early and Late-Stage Financing,” presented at Midwest Cleantech 2010 Conference, September 14, 2010
- “Implications of Greenhouse Gas Regulation by EPA, Congress and States for Public Power in the Pacific Northwest,” presented at Washington Society of Municipal and PUD Attorneys, December 2, 2009.
- Co-author, “Living With Uncertainty: Hydroelectric Operations Now and in the Future,” AWRA Spring Specialty Conference, April 18-20, 2011
- “Unlocking Regulatory Barriers to Sustainable Energy Systems,” Nat. Resources & Env’t, Fall 2004
- “The Temperature’s Rising: Business Law Considerations for Greenhouse Gas Regulation,” Nat. Resources & Env’t, Fall 2004