Felisa Sanchez is of counsel in the firm's Houston office. She is a member of the Maritime and Finance practice groups and has a broad practice in maritime commerce and financing as well as a general finance practice that spans multiple industries. Throughout her career, she has helped clients with a wide range of global maritime commerce and finance needs - helping them structure and document deals and also counseling them when issues arise after closing.
In her maritime practice, Felisa has represented both domestic and international clients in maritime financings, leasing and restructurings involving maritime assets such as drillships and drilling rigs, tugs, barges, supply vessels and cruise ships and related collateral; maritime transactions, contracts and regulatory compliance involving vessels and maritime assets; and Jones Act and other coastwise trade matters. Felisa is also experienced with maritime issues and charterparties involved in the offshore construction projects for offshore wind and offshore oil and gas.
Felisa's general finance practice includes domestic and international debt financings secured by a variety of asset. She is experienced in representing both borrowers and lenders in commercial loans in industries including energy and energy services, food and beverage, auto dealership financing and other specialized financial services industries. She has also advised clients in the restructuring of debt and collateral lien reviews involving traditional, energy and maritime assets. Felisa also is experienced with equipment leasing matters.
In addition to assisting clients with financing matters, Felisa has also advised clients as maritime counsel in investments and acquisitions involving maritime assets. This includes private equity investments in maritime portfolio companies and the purchase of maritime assets out of bankruptcy and restructuring settings.
Felisa also has worked with clients in developing detailed constructions plans and ownership structures to ensure compliance with Jones Act laws, as well as other U.S. regulations. Over the years, she has also assisted clients with the registration and transfer of title of vessels under various flags, including the United States, Marshall Islands, Liberia, Bahamas, Panama and Vanuatu, among others.
Felisa has nearly 20 years of experience serving clients in the financial services, maritime, transportation, and energy industries. Prior to joining the firm, Felisa was of counsel for a global firm, representing public and private companies in complex transactions.
- Houston’s Top Lawyers, Energy & Natural Resources, H Texas Magazine, 2011
- Houston Top Professional on the Fast Track, Energy & Natural Resources, H Texas Magazine, 2006, 2007
- Women International Shipping & Trading Association
- Houston Bar Association
- International Law Section
- Executive Council Member
- Chair (2008 - 2009)
- Former Vice Chair (2007 - 2008), Secretary/Treasurer (2006 - 2007)
- International Law Section
- Panelist, “Offshore Wind’s Role in the Decarbonization of the Global Power Industry”, K&L Gates LLP, Wood Mackenzie and Japan Institute for Overseas Investment’s Route to Zero Emission: Opportunities in the Evolving Power Markets Seminar (September 11, 2023)
- Speaker, “Handling Commercial Loans: From Loan Structures to Documentation and Closing,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (June 1, 2023)
- Panelist, “The Role of Ports in Supporting Offshore Wind Development”, K&L Gates’ The Blue Economy (November 16 2022)
- Moderator, “Options to Finance or Fund Port Economic Development”, K&L Gates’ The Blue Economy (November 16 2022)
- Panelist, "OSW Permitting and Approvals”, Northwest Environmental Business Council’s Oregon’s Energy Future Offshore Wind Symposium, (September 8, 2022)
- Speaker, “Handling Commercial Loans: From Loan Structures to Documentation and Closing,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (June 23, 2022)
- Webinar speaker, “U.S. Jones Act and Its Implications for Canadian Companies in the Offshore Wind Supply Chain,” Marine Renewables Canada and the Consulate General of Canada, Boston (June 24, 2021)
- Speaker and panelist, “Handling Commercial Loans: From Loan Structures to Documentation and Closing,” Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (May 26, 2021)
- Speaker, “Navigating Unprecedented Times: The Impact of the Coronavirus and Historically-Low Oil Prices,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Houston (May 5, 2020)
- “Offshore Wind Auction Results Portend Difficulties In Gulf,” Law360, 12 September 2023
- Quoted, "New York’s new offshore wind solicitation shows state procurements are improving: attorneys,” Utility Dive, 4 December 2023