Gina Bertolini is a partner in the Research Triangle Park officer and concentrates her practice exclusively on health law; primarily representing academic medical centers, hospitals, and health systems. She counsels senior health system and academic medical center leadership on a variety of governance, transactional, operational, and regulatory matters. In this context, she advises hospital, health system, and academic medical center clients on a multitude of legal matters, including state and federal regulatory affairs, such as federal Stark and anti-kickback statutes, EMTALA, HIPAA, and the Affordable Care Act.
Prior to joining the firm, Gina worked for The University of Michigan as an associate vice president and deputy general counsel for the University of Michigan Health System. She also worked for The University of North Carolina Health Care System as an assistant general counsel. In her role as assistant general counsel, Gina also served as legal director for UNC Physicians Network, LLC, a community-based physician organization owned by UNC Health Care System. Before joining UNC Health Care System, Gina was an associate attorney for six years with the firm’s Research Triangle Park office, focusing on health law issues. She also served as a law clerk to the Honorable Elizabeth A. Jenkins, United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida.
- Treating Behavioral Health Issues and Substance Use Disorders Confidentiality of Substance Use Disorders Records at 42 C.F.R. Part 2: “Areas of Turbulence”, presentation to the NC Bar Health Law Section Annual Meeting, March 8, 2019
- 340B Mega-Guidance, presentation to the NC Bar Health Law Section Annual Meeting, April 29, 2016
- Where the Wild Things Are: Health Care Reform & What’s In Store for 2016, K&L Gates “Under the Wire” CLE Seminar, 2016
- BioEthics and the Lawyer (Exploring the Intersection of Bioethics and the Law and the Impact on the Delivery of Health Care), NC Bar Association, Health Law Section Annual Meeting, 2013
- Appropriate Decisionmakers in Patient Care, Ethics Grand Rounds, UNC Hospitals; 2012
- Errors That Grow Into Lawsuits: Minimizing Risk While Providing Quality Patient Care in a Changing Environment; Legal Issues and Risk Management for Nurses (conference), UNC Center for Leadership Development, 2012
- The UNC Health Care System and Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina Model Medical Practice: A Blueprint for Success; AHLA Academic Medical Center conference, 2012 (Washington, D.C.)
- Making Decisions for Pediatric Patients: Insights from Law and Ethics, Ethics Grand Rounds, UNC Hospitals, 2011
- How Informed Does Consent Need to Be? Surgical Ground Rounds, UNC Hospitals, 2011
- Informed Consent, Medical Records, and Authorized Representatives, Oh My! Legal and Risk Management Issues in the PACU and Ambulatory Care Centers; PACU Conference, UNC Center for Leadership Development, 2011
- Back to the Future: Hospital Acquisition of Physician Practices, North Carolina Bar Association, 2010
- 340B Program Omnibus Guidance: Mega-Changes on the Horizon?, American Health Lawyers Association Rap Sheet, November 2015
- Interviewed and quoted, “OFAC Fines Add to Ransomware Peril; 'It's a Between-a-Rock-and-a-Hard-Place Thing,'” Report on Medicare Compliance, Volume 30, Number 9, 8 March 2021