James Cross is a partner at the firm’s London office and is a member of the private equity practice group. He has a broad range of international corporate experience with particular expertise in all forms of private equity transactions. This encompasses buy-outs, secondary transactions, restructurings and bolt-on acquisitions, acting either for investors or management.
James has advised numerous private equity sponsors on auction processes/bids, including AGIC Capital, Anacap Financial Partners, August Equity, Aurelius, Averroes Capital, Blandford Capital, BlueGem, CBPE Capital, Clarion Capital Partners, Duke Street, ECI Partners, EMK Capital, Endless, EQT Partners, ESO Capital, Graphite Capital, Horizon Capital, Inflexion, Inspirit Capital, Leeds Equity Partners, Nova Capital, Orangewood Partners, Piper, Risk Capital Partners, Rubicon Partners Industries, Soho Square Capital, Sovereign Capital, STAR Capital Partners and Vitruvian.
He has particular experience acting for management teams. This includes in relation to Leaders Romans Group, Sequence Care Group, Texecom, Casa.it, atHome Group, City & County Healthcare, Côte Restaurants, Gatwick Airport, Griffin Global Group, Grupo Primavera, Microgen Financial Systems, Pret a Manger, SafetyKleen, Samsonite, Stowe Family Law, Tax Systems, Touchstone Group, TrustQuay and Weir Group Plc's Flow Control division. He also has particular capabilities advising investors from China and the US on cross-border acquisitions of, and investments in, UK and European businesses and on complex corporate carve-outs.
Prior to joining the firm, James worked for several international law firms. James qualified in 2004.
- Recognised by The Legal 500 United Kingdom edition as a Recommended Lawyer for M&A: lower mid-market deals, £100m-£750m and Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m) in London, 2024
- Mentioned, “Stout Advises Inspirit Capital on the Acquisition of CWind,” India Investment News, 11 October 2023
- Mentioned, “Soho Square Invests in Assured Data Protection,” The Deal, 13 October 2023
- Mentioned, “Falfurrias Capital Backs Media Agency Brainlabs,” The Deal, 19 September 2023
- Mentioned, “Forecourt Equipment Acquisition Wins Deal of the Month," Insider Media Limited, 15 May 2023
- Noted, "Oakley Capital’s $6.8 Billion Merger With Cegid Group," Global Legal Chronicle, 27 July 2022