John Mann is a leading transactional lawyer with more than 25 years' experience. He focuses on negotiated and unregulated mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and private equity including due diligence (both vendor and buy-side), acquisitions and sales of shares and assets, private equity (including MBO/MBIs), joint ventures (incorporated, partnerships and unit trusts), structures and restructures and regulatory issues.
He also provides general corporate and commercial legal advice to a wide range of key corporate clients.
John is regularly quoted in the Australian press in respect of M&A and business law issues.
John was with predecessor firms of global law firm, K&L Gates (and its legacy firms) for over 25 years.
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Corporate/Governance Practice (2014-present), Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2014-present) and Private Equity Law (2016-present)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, recognized lawyer for Corporate and M&A (2019)
- Doyle's Guide, recognized as a Leading Corporate & Commercial Lawyer (SME & Mid-Market Matters) and a Recommended Corporate Lawyers (2019); Leading Corporate/M&A Lawyer (Smaller & Mid-Market Matters) – Victoria, (2017); Leading Corporate/M&A Lawyer (High-Value Matters) – Victoria, (2017); a Leading M&A Lawyer – Melbourne (2016); a Leading Corporate Lawyer – Australia (2015); and a Leading Corporate Lawyer – Melbourne (2015)
- Lawyers Weekly 2014 "Deal Maker of the Year" finalist
- Asia Business Lawyer "40 Hottest Lawyers" (2014)
- Harbert Australian Private Equity won the Australian Venture Capital and Private Equity Association's (AVCAL) ‘Best Expansion Stage’ Deal award for 2013, for its investment in Aēsop. Mr. Mann and K&L Gates were recognised in the awards as the lead legal advisor to Harbert.
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) member
- International Bar Association member
- Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) member
- Australian Venture Capital Association of Australia member
- Former Lasallian Foundation board member and chairperson of audit and risk committee (9 years)
- Former Brotherhood of St Laurence – Social Enterprises Working Committee member (5 years)
- Former Homeground Services – pro bono client liaison partner (10 years)
- "Strides Arcolab sells its generic to Watson Pharmaceuticals" Express Pharma, February 29, 2012
- "Middletons wrestles with Sumo deal" Lawyers Weekly, February 8, 2011
- "A detailed look at new dividend rules" The Australian, October 17, 2010
- "Lenders Suss Out Deals" CFO Magazine, September 8, 2010