Julie Anne Halter is a partner in the Seattle office of K&L Gates. Her practice includes complex commercial and business litigations, arbitrations and government and internal investigations, particularly as they relate to managing large, document-intensive cases, specifically those involving electronic discovery. For nearly two decades, Julie Anne has counseled clients regarding complex electronic discovery in litigations, arbitrations and investigation matters involving intellectual property, trade secrets, securities and banking, including SEC and FINRA investigation matters, antitrust, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, products liability, real estate and employment litigation, as well as other government and internal investigations and public records act requests.
Julie Anne is a member of the e-discovery analysis and technology group (e-DAT), a dedicated, firmwide practice group that deploys advanced technology, including predictive analytics and other technology assisted review resources, and implements proven business processes to provide clients with efficient and cost-effective electronic discovery counseling and document review services.
Julie Anne also counsels clients in a variety of industries on information governance, records management and litigation readiness issues, providing advice and assistance regarding information governance policies, practices and records retention schedules, employee training and other recommendations to maintain legal compliance, lower record management costs, and reduce liability risks.
Julie Anne is a former member of a working group of The Sedona Conference, a leading e-discovery organization, responsible for laying critical foundational work associated with the recently amended Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 37(e) regarding the preservation of electronically stored information. She is also a frequent author and speaker on discovery issues, including recent articles and podcasts regarding technology assisted review innovations.
- Washington State Bar Association
- Make-A-Wish of Alaska and Washington, Member, Board of Trustees (2012-2018)
- Board Chairperson (2015-2016)
- Board Governance Committee Chairperson (2013-2014)
- “Trust But Verify: Ethically Leveraging Artificial Intelligence in the Legal Profession -- Keeping Ethical in a Technical World 2.0 CLE,” WSBA, Seattle, May 30, 2019.
- “e-Discovery 101 and Beyond,” K&L Gates Seventh Annual “Under the Wire Seminar” CLE Seminar, January 31, 2019.
- “Leveraging Machine Translation Technology for Multi-Lingual Arbitrations,” a K&L Gates Hub Talks Podcast, July 10, 2018.
- “AI: Evolution, Opportunities and Challenges,” co-presented with David J. Lehman, and Carolyn M. Branthoover, General Counsel University Program, K&L Gates, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, May 1, 2018.
- “E-Discovery; Tips, Tactics and Techniques,” K&L Gates, Seattle, Washington, January 18, 2018.
- “Discovering e-Discovery” (One day program) Co-Chair and Speaker, King County Bar Association and K&L Gates, March 16, 2017.
- “Federal Rule Changes Affect e-Discovery – Are You Ready This Time?” K&L Gates Continuing Legal Education Program, Seattle, December 1, 2015.
- “Global FCPA Compliance,” a K&L Gates-sponsored luncheon and podcast featuring panelists from London, Seattle, Beijing and Shanghai regarding FCPA investigation protocols and procedures and how they differ across the globe, Seattle, October 20, 2015.
- “Navigating Traps for the Unwary: and Increasingly Complex Ethical Issues in Discovery,” 3rd Annual Under the Wire CLE, co-presented with Kathryn Taylor and Matthew Houston, Raleigh, North Carolina, January 22, 2015.
- “Ethical Obligations and Considerations in e-Discovery,” co-sponsored by AmCham Shanghai & American Bar Association's Asia Pacific and China Committees, Shanghai, November 11, 2014.
- "Fundamentals of Electronic Discovery and Records Management," sponsored by The Law Society of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, November 7, 2014.
- “Best Practices in Working with Consultants - Picking the Right Investigative Partners in China,” Anti-Corruption Compliance in China Conference sponsored by Law Seminars International, Seattle, August 14, 2014.
- “Must-haves for your e-discovery toolkit,” Puget Sound Business Journal, Law and Litigation Section, December 10, 2010.
- “Building Your e-Discovery Toolkit,” DeNovo, Washington State Bar Association Young Lawyers Division Publication, Volume 24, Issue 5, October 2010.