Lai Foong Chan has a broad spectrum of legal experience, having started off her career as a general practitioner doing real estate, solicitor’s work, and civil and criminal law advocacy. Her practice is now focused on non-contentious work providing advice on a range of commercial and corporate transactions matters, mergers, and acquisitions, drafting of banking and loan documentation, landlord and tenancy work, and asset finance work. Her particular interest is still real estate law, and she has assisted clients in complex sales and purchases of properties in Singapore, due diligence, property development, en-bloc collective sales, restructuring, and refinancing of assets.
She currently has a portfolio of clients in the private, quasi-government, and government sector and across a diverse range of industries such as financial services and social and welfare organisations. She is also retained in the panel of lawyers on many of the Singapore branches of foreign banks, and advises them on a myriad of Singapore law-related issues including banking, commercial contracts, regulatory compliance, personal data policies, and personal law.
She has been a facilitator and trainer for the Singapore Institute of Legal Education (SILE) for many years, and has also been involved in the revision of the current version of the Real Estate syllabus for SILE. She is an active member of the Law Society of Singapore, and is currently the sports chairperson of the Law Society of Singapore and a member of the Audit & Risk Compliance Committee of the Community Foundation of Singapore.
Lai Foong graduated from the University of Hull, United Kingdom and is barrister at law of the Inner Temple. She was called to the UK Bar in 1991. She was admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore in 1993. She is a facilitator and trainer at the Singapore Institute of Legal Education for Real Estate Practice.
- Lai Foong has been ranked as a recommended lawyer in Legal 500 in the areas of corporate M&A and banking & finance, and has been mentioned in previous edition of IFLR1000.
- Facilitator and trainer, Singapore Institute of Legal Education
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Sports Chairperson of the Law Society of Singapore (2018)
- Member of Audit & Risk Committee, Community Foundation of Singapore (from 2017)
- Member, ASEAN Law Association
- Member, Medical-Legal Society of Singapore
- INBLF conference in March 2018 on “Development of Singapore Land Law”
- Talk at General Electric in September 2017 on “Lasting Power of Attorney in Singapore”
- AXA Seminar in November 2015 on “The Legal Difference between a Power of Attorney and Lasting Power of Attorney in Singapore”