Mark Roberts counsels and represents individuals and families in both tax and non-tax aspects of estate planning, with an emphasis on personalized needs and advanced tax planning, including use of sophisticated tax strategies to transfer wealth among family members, preservation of assets through use of long-term trusts, partnerships and companies, facilitation of business succession, and preparation of documentation relating to estate planning.
Mark assists individuals in developing and implementing charitable giving plans, including private foundations and charitable lead and remainder trusts.
He advises and represents both individual and professional fiduciaries in all facets of the administration of private trusts and decedents’ estates, including probate law matters, income and estate tax planning, preparation of required tax returns, and tax audits and appeals before the Internal Revenue Service.
Mark also represents beneficiaries and fiduciaries in will and trust disputes, including will and trust interpretations, breach of fiduciary duty claims, will contests, accounting proceedings, and charitable trust reformations.
Mark frequently presents at professional education programs on topics related to estate planning and probate law.
Mark was ranked as the number one Trusts and Estates lawyer in the United States in 2015 - 2018 by United States Lawyers Rankings. The United States Lawyer Rankings was established by a consortium of United States corporations in order to recognize those lawyers who have consistently provided the highest degree of legal representation, so that their members, as well as other businesses and individual clients, can have a degree of guidance when choosing to retain a lawyer. United States Lawyer Rankings does not distribute marketing materials, has no contact with law firm marketing departments, and does not accept payments from lawyers, law firms, or third parties for advertisements, professional listings, bound volumes, subscriptions, webpage linking, or payments of any kind.
Mark is also consistently recognized for his work in the trusts and estates area by leading industry publications, including the following:
- Best Lawyers in America, Trusts & Estates (1995-2018, 2020)
- Chambers and Partners, Band 1 Ranked Lawyer, Private Wealth Law - Washington, 2018
- Washington Super Lawyers, Estate Planning & Probate (2000-2018)
- Seattle Metropolitan Magazine, Top Lawyers, Trusts & Estates, 2018Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Preeminent, Trusts & Estates
- Washington State Bar Association
- Past chairperson, Real Property, Probate and Trust Section; served on its Executive Committee for eight years
- Co-Chair, Probate Law Task Force, a committee that drafted comprehensive legislation revising Washington’s probate laws recently enacted by legislature
- Member, Directed Trust Committee, a committee that drafted legislation revising Washington’s trust laws enacted by the legislature in 2015
- Member, Tax Section Estate and Gift Tax Committee
- Fellow of the American College of Trusts and Estates Counsel
- Seattle Estate Planning Council; past member of Executive Committee