Michael Murphy focuses his practice on consulting and representing clients in antitrust/competition, product distribution, and intellectual property matters. Additionally, Mr. Murphy represents clients in complex business litigation.
Michael advises product manufacturers on the design and implementation of distribution and resale price maintenance strategies focusing on removing unauthorized Internet resellers and limiting online price erosion. Michael has developed customized distribution strategies for product manufacturers in numerous regions of the world and across many product verticals. Further, Michael and his team assist clients in developing and executing gray market and counterfeit suppression strategies. He counsels clients on distribution and pricing strategies in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia.
Michael consults and litigates on behalf of clients regarding a range of antitrust/competition issues, including monopolization issues under the Sherman Act and pricing issues under the Robinson-Patman Act.
Additionally, Michael has experience assisting clients with the procurement and negotiation of contracts with governmental agencies on the federal, state and local levels.
Besides antitrust litigation, Michael’s litigation experience includes disputes regarding complex business issues, real estate, and intellectual property.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Michael was a partner at a national law firm. He previously clerked for the Honorable Judge Louis R. Meloni in the New Jersey Superior Court.
- Named a Massachusetts “Rising Star” in Antitrust Litigation (2016-2019)
- Co-Founder of Cradles to Crayons Emerging Leaders Council
- Previous board member of the Teach for America Greater Boston Alumni Advisory Board
- Has served on numerous campaign and finance committees including those of Senator John F. Kerry and Representative Michael E. Capuano
- IADC Trial Academy Alumni (International Association of Defense Counsel Trial Academy)
- Teach for America corps member
- Speaker, “The Intersection of Business, Government and Current Events”, 22nd Annual Sawyer Business School Honors Networking Event, March 4, 2020
- Speaker, “4 Pillars of Online Protection,” ASD Market Week, July 30, 2019
- Speaker, 21st Anti-Counterfeiting & Brand Protection Conference, January 28-30, 2019.
- “Resale Price Maintenance Policies A Century After Colgate,” Law360, 30 May 2019
- “Manufacturers Need To Mitigate Risk Of Price Bias Claims,” Law360, 12 April 2019
- “Resale Price Maintenance in China: One Country, Two Systems,” LexisNexis, 19 June 2018
- “Disfavored Retailers Turn Up Volume On Robinson-Patman,” Law360, 20 February 2018
- “What To Expect From 7th Circ. In Robinson-Patman Case,” Law360, 16 March 2016
- “What is the Kennedy Act, And What Can it Do for Me?” Cradles to Crayons Blog post, January 2010
- “The Race for 2011 Appropriations: On Your EARmarks, Get Set, Go!,” ChannelWorks’ “ChannelWise,” December 2009
- ”Finally…Stimulus Money for Auto Parts Industry,” PWA Newsline, a publication of the Performance Warehouse Association and Performance Automotive Retailer, Vol. 39 Issue 3, 2009