Owen Chio is a partner / senior legal consultant in the firm's Taipei office. Owen has over 20 years of experience advising on (i) cross-border M&As and investments in energy, high tech, biotech and other sectors, (ii) major energy projects particularly in wind, solar, thermal power and natural gas areas, (iii) corporate compliance issues such as data privacy, trade sanctions, anti-trust and anti-corruption, and (iv) cross-border commercial disputes. Owen has been involved in some of the most significant deals for major MNCs and state-owned enterprises and acts for corporate clients on a long term basis in their investments, M&As and post-acquisition/investment corporate and commercial matters. Owen is recognized by International Financial Law Review (IFLR) as a “Leading Lawyer - Highly Regarded."
Owen has acted for CPC Taiwan, the sole state-owned energy company in Taiwan, in relation to (i) its equity investment in the upstream LNG supplier Ras Laffan II in Qatar, (ii) its investment in a joint venture in lubricant oil manufacturing, terminal, storage and distribution in Vietnam, (iii) its investment in an oil mine in Columbia (which did not proceed), (iv) its purchase of natural gas, (v) its set up of a joint venture to own and purchase LNG tankers (NiMic), (vi) its construction of natural gas receiving terminal and under water pipe lines in Taichung Port (the second LNG Port in Taiwan), and (vii) its refinancing of LNG tankers (NiMic).
Prior to joining the firm, Owen was a partner / executive consultant and the global co-head of the compliance practice of a Taiwan law firm with strategic alliance with one of the Big 4 firms. Before then, he worked at the Taipei office of a multinational law firm for 15 years, including as a partner, co-chair of corporate compliance practice, deputy chair of foreign investment approval, and CSR partner of the firm. Owen worked in the Hong Kong office of a UK Magic Circle firm before returning to Taiwan.
- Speech on “GDPR” to members of Taiwan CIO Association on 28 June 2018.
- Lecture on “Cross-Border M&As and JVs” to business school students of DanJiang University on 8 June 2018.
- Speech on “VC Investments in Startups” to members of the TaiFu Startup Association on 31 May 2018.
- DUB, The Honorable Society of Lincoln’s Inn, 1997
- Advanced Certificate in International Arbitration, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 2018
- Chief writer of "Doing Business in Taiwan" published by CCH in 2012 and 2013.
- Chief writer of the Baker McKenzie publication in 2012: "Intellectual Property Guide Taiwan Section".
- Chief writer of the Baker McKenzie publication: "Mergers & Acquisitions Guide Taiwan Section" in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.