Ruth Delaney is a partner in the asset management and investment funds practice group, concentrating in the ERISA fiduciary and investment management, hedge funds, and alternative investments practice areas.
Ruth focuses her practice on advising clients regarding fiduciary responsibility matters under ERISA and on advising U.S. and non-U.S.-based investment advisers on private fund structuring, regulatory, and compliance issues.
In particular, she assists clients with:
- Forming hedge funds and preparing all necessary organizational and offering documents.
- Negotiating advisory and subadvisory agreements.
- Establishing collective investment funds.
- Structuring private funds and managed accounts to comply with ERISA.
- Structuring funds to avoid ERISA “plan asset” status, including advice regarding application of “VCOC” and “REOC” requirements under U.S. Department of Labor regulations.
- Compliance with “pay-to-play” and lobbying requirements under federal, state, and local rules.
Ruth also represents institutional investors in connection with their investments in private funds and their hiring of third-party asset managers.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Ruth worked with a Southern California fund of hedge funds investment firm in the legal and compliance group.
- 100 Women in Hedge Funds, Member
- "Private Equity in 401(k) Plans - A Trillion Dollar Opportunity?," Journal of Investment Compliance, December 2020
- “The Department of Labor's New Conflict-of-Interest Regulations,” The Review of Securities & Commodities Regulation, Vol. 49, No. 13, 20 July 2016