Simon Chan has been based in Doha since July 2010. Prior to joining K&L Gates, he worked for Allen & Overy. Before moving to Doha, he spent 10 years practicing in London, from 1999-2009. Simon has extensive experience advising financial institutions, corporate sponsors, and borrowers on general financing, including project finance, leveraged finance, asset finance and Islamic finance and also on restructurings. He has experience in advising project companies, sponsors, and lenders on the development and financing of large infrastructure projects.
Ranked as a leading lawyer (Band 2) by Chambers Global 2021 for Corporate/Commercial: Banking & Finance in Qatar. Simon is well versed in a wide range of finance matters, acting for both borrowers and lenders. He is also noted for his skills in fintech and banking regulatory matters. Sources agree that he is "an experienced guy," with one client adding: "I find him to be really reliable." Simon is rated by The Legal 500: Qatar, with one peer noting “Simon is a good guy, dedicated to the work and an expert in his field.”
- Recognized by The Legal 500 EMEA as a Recommended Lawyer (2022)
- Recognized by Chambers Global for Banking & Finance in Qatar (2022 and 2023)
- Panelist, “Achieving National Objectives through Islamic Banking — Innovation, Transformation and Digitalization,” IFN Qatar Dialogues, 31 May 2023
- Moderator, “Fulfilling Potential: Islamic Financial Services in Qatar,” IFN Qatar OnAir Roadshow 2022, 8 August 2022
- Presenter and panelist, “Transitioning from LIBOR: Managing Compliance Risks,” Qatar Business Law Forum, 24 November 2021