Susan Hackney assists health care clients law with regulatory and litigation matters, including certificate of need planning and contested cases, licensing and certification matters, payment disputes, medical staff privilege matters, EMTALA issues, civil monetary penalty appeals and contract disputes. She represents hospital systems, adult care facility providers, continuing care providers, hospice facilities, physician groups, and other health care providers.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Susan was an attorney with the North Carolina Department of Justice in the Administrative Division, Medical Facilities Section. From 2003-2005, she was a research assistant for the Honorable John C. Martin at the North Carolina Court of Appeals.
While attending law school, Susan was a member of the Holderness Moot Court.
- Named a Rising Star by North Carolina Super Lawyers in 2014.
- North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys’ Board of Directors’ member
- Member of American Health Lawyers Association
- Member of the North Carolina Bar Association, Administrative Law Section
- Member of the Wake County Bar Association
- Member of the Eastern District of North Carolina Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Tryon Palace Foundation Board of Directors’ member
- Susie Sharp Inn of Court; Secretary/Treasurer, 2005-2008
- Wachovia Bank, Wilson, North Carolina; Local Board of Directors, 1992-2002