Whitney McCollum is a partner in the firm’s Technology Transactions and Data Protection, Privacy, and Security practice groups. Whitney draws upon her technical background and global in-house experience to provide companies with cutting-edge data and technology risk management advice. Whitney is CIPP/US and CIPP/E certified and a member of the U.S. Patent Bar.
Whitney joined the firm after serving as the chief intellectual property and data protection counsel for an international public company. Through this role, Whitney established a global data privacy compliance program that included GDPR and CCPA compliance, handled creation-to-commercialization technology protection including intellectual property portfolio management and licensing, conducted incident investigations and response, advised on data and technology considerations in mergers and acquisitions, and counseled all levels of the organization from operations to the c-suite. Whitney began her career as an intellectual property litigation attorney in another large international law firm and has engaged in in all aspects of patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret and other complex litigation in federal and state court and before the USPTO and International Trade Commission for high-profile technology clients.
- Keynote Speaker: Data and COVID—Now and Future, National Institute of Records Management Annual Meeting (August 2021)
- Recent Developments in Artificial Intelligence and Privacy at the FTC, EU and Beyond, Bar Association of San Francisco (June 2021)
- Cyberside Chats: Would You Bury Your Driver's License? (April 2021)
- U.S. Data Privacy on the Move, Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) 2019 Privacy and Tech Summit (12 November 2019)
- GDPR is Effective Today!, University of Texas Technology Law Conference (25 May 2018)
- Ready or Not, Here Comes the GDPR, ACC, Annual Meeting (16 October 2017)
- “What Tech Firms Should Know About California’s Social Media Law,” Bloomberg Law, 4 November 2022
- "Opinion: New Privacy Bill is Good for Everyone," Puget Sound Business Journal, 25 August 2022
- Supreme Court Stifles Aereo But Tries to Keep the Cloud Away, Socially Aware (2014)
- Which Way is Aereo Pointing? The Supreme Court Hears Oral Arguments in Public Performance Copyright Case, Socially Aware (2014)
- A Statistical Analysis of Trade Secret Litigation in State Courts, 46 Gonz. L. Rev. 57 (2011)(co-author)
- A Statistical Analysis of Trade Secret Litigation in Federal Courts, 45 Gonz. L. Rev. 291 (2010) (co-author)
- Designing Around the Supreme Court? The Federal Circuit nods to the design patent test and keeps going, Legal Times (Oct. 2008) (co-author)
- Comment: First-to-File: Promoting the Goals of the United States Patent System Demonstrated Through the Biotechnology Industry 41 U.S.F. L. Rev. 261 (2006)