C.J. Voss has a corporate transactions practice that spans the business lifecycle, from start-up through exit.
For established companies, C.J.'s practice focuses on advising business owners, senior management, and boards of directors on strategic transactions including mergers, acquisitions, recapitalizations, securities offerings, and joint ventures. C.J. has advised on both buy- and sell-side M&A transactions and has served as issuer and underwriters’ counsel in IPOs and follow-on offerings. C.J. also has significant experience advising public companies on securities disclosure and compliance matters and corporate governance issues.
At the start-up and growth stages, C.J. advises entrepreneurs and emerging growth companies on business formation and founders’ issues and early stage growth financings.
C.J. has represented clients in many sectors, including the food and beverage, aerospace, forest products, energy, manufacturing, life sciences and medical device, healthcare, software and information technology, retail, and financial services industries.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, C.J. spent over 20 years as a corporate lawyer with the Seattle office of a West Coast regional law firm. Previously, he was an attorney/advisor with the Office of the Chief Counsel for International Commerce at the U.S. Department of Commerce in Washington, D.C., and an associate with Linklaters in Brussels, Belgium.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America©, 2012-2021
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Washington) by Chambers USA, 2007-2020
- Selected to Washington Super Lawyers list (Business/Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions, Securities & Corporate Finance), 2006, 2014–2015, 2017–2018
- Director, Association for Corporate Growth Seattle
- Volunteer Lawyer, Kids in Need of Defense
- Judge, Contract Negotiation Competition, University of Washington School of Law
- Former Member, Development Committee, Volunteer Park Trust
- Sponsor Representative, E8 Angels
- Member, Board of Advisors, International Rescue Committee, Seattle Chapter
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Seattle Symphony Orchestra
- Former Member, Executive Committee, and Chair, Major Donor Committee, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation/Northwest
- Founder and Former Director, Garfield Men's Lacrosse Club
- “Investing in British Columbia Startups,” Alliance of Angels Webinar, October 2020
- “Should We Update our Code of Conduct,” Private Companies Committee and Pacific Northwest Chapter, Society for Corporate Governance, March 2019
- “M&A Purchase Price Adjustments,” Mergers and Acquisitions Committee, Business Law Section, American Bar Association, February 2019
- “What Would You Do? Being Ethical and Effective at the Negotiation Table,” Northwestern University School of Law Corporate & Securities Law Institute-- Chicago, 2018
- “Small Cap IPOs, Alternative Markets, and Shell Mergers,” The Seminar Group, December 2017
- "Financing Clean Energy Businesses & Entrepreneurs," The CleanTech Alliance, December 2016
- “The U.S. Economic Relationship with Asia” with Under Secretary of State Catherine Novelli, World Affairs Council – Seattle, 2015
- "M&A Auctions: Successful Bidding Strategies - Planning and Executing Winning Bids, Minimizing Costs of Losing Bids," Strafford Webinars, 2015
- "Lessons Learned from a Career in M&A," Association for Corporate Growth, Seattle, Washington, 2015
- Lexis/Nexis, Securities Practice Guide
- "Securities Regulation," Chapter XIII, Washington Lawyers' Practice Manual