Claude-Etienne Armingaud is a partner in the firm’s Paris office and a member of the commercial technology and sourcing practice group. He is also the practice group coordinator for the data protection, privacy and security practice group. His practice relies on extensive experience in understanding technological and structural processes, which allows for innovative approaches to solidify his client's business models and protect their intangible assets, at all stages of their growth.
Claude-Etienne advises clients active in the digital industries, with a particular interest in innovative services and notably fintech and blockchain-based services, connected and autonomous cars and automotive sector, data optimization and valuation, notably in the IoT sector.
He has notably been involved in the connected car ecosystem, on R&D projects relating to experimentation of autonomous cars, partnership agreements for the development of in-car connected services and the assistance of value-added service startups for the negotiation of the CNIL/French Data Protection Authority’s compliance package for the connected car. He is a regular speaker about the legal aspects pertaining to connected and autonomous vehicles, notably at the Connected Car Conference in Paris, the Connected Mobility Conference in Lille The Future of Transportation World Conference in Cologne et le Global Manufacturing and Industralization Summit in Abu Dhabi.
He also assists clients with their General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliance process, including risk analysis and contractual implementation of data processing and data sharing services and implementation of Big Data projects notably within the artificial intelligence industry.
Claude-Etienne's legal experience draws on both a French civil law practice and American common law training. He provides his clients with a multicultural approach to their needs, be it for American entities doing business in continental Europe as well as European companies looking to expand their reach.
Claude-Etienne regularly advises start-up companies in matters relating to securing their intellectual property, be it from in-house or external providers or employees, as well as securing their process from the start to ensure a streamlined evolution towards more advanced stages of growth.
Innovative Services Experience
Claude-Etienne possesses extensive experience in understanding technological and structural processes, ranging from customer and prospect data optimization to enforcing intellectual property rights. He regularly assists service and content providers on both their front and back office matters.
Claude-Etienne has worked with companies in a variety of industries, including online services, technology, pharmaceutical and biotechnology, retail and consumer products, videogame publishing and banking.
With this global approach, Claude-Etienne regularly assists his clients in litigation and regulatory matters at French, European, and international levels on:
- media & content distribution;
- data protection & consumer protection;
- defamation & online reputation;
- internal & external fraud;
- counterfeiting & IP infringement;
- internet liability;
- advertising, betting & gaming.
Claude-Etienne was an associate at one of the largest French law firms and more than three years at the Paris office of a U.S. firm. He focused on all aspects of IP/IT law, with an emphasis on interdisciplinary data privacy, online gambling and marketing, international and national technology agreements, dematerialization, cryptography, and IPR portfolio management, as well as banking and regulatory compliance issues (SOX, discovery, Sapin II, etc.).
He also worked at the French Cybercrime Bureau (“OCLCTIC”, Ministry of the Interior).
- Leaders League - New Technologies – IT & Software - 2018 Ranking of the Top Law Firms (France)
- "Recommended – Band 2” with Etienne Drouard
- Leaders League - New Technologies - Internet - 2018 Ranking of the Top Law Firms (France)
- "Highly Recommended – Band 2” with Etienne Drouard
- Leaders League - New Technologies – Data Protection IT & Software - 2018 Ranking of the Top Law Firms (France)
- “Excellent” with Etienne Drouard
- Legal 500 – EMEA - Industry focus: IT, telecoms and the internet 2018 - Band 2:
- Leaders League - New Technologies – IT & Software - 2017 Ranking of the Top Law Firms (France)
- "Recommended – Band 2” with Etienne Drouard
- Leaders League - New Technologies - Internet - 2017 Ranking of the Top Law Firms (France)
- "Highly Recommended – Band 2” with Etienne Drouard
- Legal 500 – EMEA - Industry focus: IT, telecoms and the internet 2017 - Band 2:
- Legal 500 – EMEA - Industry focus: IT, telecoms and the internet 2016 - Band 3:
- "Headed by Etienne Drouard, K&L Gates LLP’s six-lawyer team assists major companies with digital transformation, outsourcing matters and IT systems integration. It also advises on cutting-edge data protection matters. Altarea-Cogedim Group and Voyages-SNCF.com are clients, as are a number of luxury goods manufacturers and advertising groups. Senior associate Claude-Etienne Armingaud is another name to note."
- Leaders League - New Technologies - Internet - 2016 Ranking of the Top Law Firms (France)
- "Highly Recommended” with Etienne Drouard
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- Member, Cornell Club of Paris
- French-American Bar Association Paris, Member
- AI & Society - What Artificial Intelligence for What Society Project?, Turing Club & Viuz.com, 4 July 2019
- 2nd Annual AI In Corporate Counsel & Law Practice, TBM Group, Vienna, Austria, 13-14 June, 2019
- The U.S. – EU Digital Agenda, Trans-Atlantic Business Council and K&L Gates Symposium, Washington, DC, 10 December 2018
- Changing Global Data Breach Notification Laws, International Association of Privacy Professionals, Paris, 15-Nov-18
- Intellectual Property, Innovation and Protection - the new challenges of the digital revolution, APCO Worldwide, Paris, 22 March 2018
- The evolving regulatory environment of ICO in France and the EU, The Bay Pay Forum / K&L Gates, Paris, 1 March 2018
- US Startups in France - Making it Work, Business France & K&L Gates, San Francisco; 11 February 2018
- Data, Users & Devices : Administrer la sécurité, Conseils & Solutions (IAM, DLP, SIEM, SOC … être GDPR-ready), CNIS Magazine Conférence, Paris, 14 December 2017
- GDPR applied to the non-profit sector: How to be compliant by May 2018?, ENCATC, Brussels, 12 December 2017
- Connecting the Dots: U.S. and International Issues and Regulatory Developments on Connected Cars/Autonomous Vehicles, K&L Gates / Access Partnership, Washington, DC, 6 December 2017
- Comment le véhicule connecté interroge-t-il le droit commercial actuel dans les services auto ?, AutoActu - Symposium L'Après Vente à l'Heure du Véhicule Connecté, Paris, 15 November 2017
- Table Ronde - Ma voiture, mes données : comment la réglementation permettra au consommateur d'exercer son choix ?, AutoActu - Symposium L'Après Vente à l'Heure du Véhicule Connecté, Paris, 15 November 2017
- LawTalk: GDPR attack, GC Futures Summit 2017, London, 26 September 2017
- GDPR Incident Response — How to Prepare, International Association of Privacy Professionals, Paris, 7 September 2017
- What effect will disruptive mobility technology and new personal transportation options have on business models and strategies for automotive manufacturers” - The Future of Transportation World Conference, 6 July 2017
- “Sapin II - Organisational Risk and Crisis Management”, K&L Gates Paris Conference, Paris, 15 June 2017
- What’s Your Wallet: The Privacy & Security of In-Car Payment Systems”, TRUSTe Privacy Risk Summit, San Francisco, 6 June 2017
- “How will the data-driven economy and internet of things fuel the connected car industry and can global compliance be reached?”, Global Manufacturing and Industrialisation Summit, Abu Dhabi, 28 March 2017
- “K&L Gates Addresses Legal Implications of a New World Driven by 4IR Technologies”, Global Manufacturing and Industrialisation Summit – Press Conference, 7 March 2017
- “Conférence Automobile Connectée - La véritable « Privacy by design »,” Journal de l'Automobile, Paris, 2 March 2017
- “Blockchain – Which opportunities lie ahead?,” Association of Corporate Counsel Europe, Paris, 8 December 2016
- “Legal workshop: Future ISP liability,” Internet Service Provider Association UK, London, 24 November 2016
- “Legal Workshop,” Connected Mobility Day, Lilles, 16 November 2016
- “Conférence Automobile Connectée : Table ronde #1 – Produits et services : les tendances de 2016,” Le Journal de l'Automobile, Paris, 16 February 2016
- “L'avocat à l'ère numérique,” FNUJA de Draguignan, 6 March 2015
- “The Digital Lawyer - Online marketing & communication for law firms,” EFB / Conseil National des Barreaux, 30 October 2014
- “Avocat connecté - Connaître son client et se faire connaître en ligne,” Table ronde IREDIC "Quel(s) droit(s) pour les réseaux sociaux ?", Aix-en-Provence, 20 February 2014
- “ISPA Conference 2013: The Internet industry: what lies ahead?,” Internet Service Provider Association – UK, London, 27 November 2013
- “#CQTM démonte le web - All your data are belong to us,” CQTM, 2 July 2013
- “La création dans tous ses états : éclatement des œuvres, matérialisation du virtuel,” 18 June 2013
- “Les Mutations de L’Œuvre- La création dans tous ses états : éclatement des œuvres, matérialisation du virtuel” – 18 June 2013
- “ISPA Conference '11 - Internet & Society,” Internet Service Provider Association – UK, London, 9 November 2011
- “Japan and the EU Create a Free Flow of Data,” Infosecurity Magazine, 17 January 2019
- “Une victoire à double tranchant ? Retour sur l’annulation partielle de la marque Laguiole par la CJUE”, Revue Lamy Droit de l'Immatériel, May 2017
- “Photo et Web 2.0 : quand les juges se font critiques d'art et plus sévères sur la preuve de « l'originalité »,” Edition Multimédi@, 12 February 2016
- “La lettre recommandée électronique – Le législateur sonne toujours deux fois,” Revue Lamy Droit de l'Immatériel, n°123, February 2016
- “Projet de loi numérique : ces mesures plébiscitées par les internautes qui peuvent mettre le gouvernement dans une position délicate,” Atlantico.fr, 21 October 2015
- “Interview sur la Signature Électronique,” Atlantico.fr, 16 October 2015
- “La perception du droit de la concurrence technologique – La Fontaine 2.0 ?,” Atlantico.fr, 14 October 2015
- “The long tail of the internet - A missed rendez-vous for French lawyers,” Dalloz Avocats - Exercer et entreprendre, April 2015
- “The two leading French online private sellers, Vente-privee.com and Showroomprive.com, opened fire against each other with regards to protection of their respective trademarks," K&L Gates Trademark and Unfair Competition Bulletin, June 2014
- “L’explosion du « Big Data » : coup de grisou juridique dans le «data mining»,” Option Droit & Affaires, 11 September 2013
- “Who's watching the State when it itself becomes a hacker?,” Atlantico.fr, 3 November 2011
- "What will be the price to pay to have a price on ebooks?," Actualitte.com, 12 November 2010
- “Protection des consommateurs face au risque de procédure collective des entreprises de vente à distance - Analyse juridique des dispositifs de protection envisageables,” FEVAD - Rapport rédigé à la demande de Monsieur Luc Chatel, secrétaire d’Etat chargé de l’Industrie et de la Consommation, 3 March 2009