Dr. Amigo Xie’s practice focuses on PRC-related cross-border green field investment or merger and acquisition (M&A) (inbound investment into China and outbound investment from China), anti-trust pre-merger filing in China, China-based companies’ overseas IPO, data protection, and corporate and commercial matters. With around 20 years’ experience representing both domestic and foreign investors in PRC-related cross border transactions, Amigo advises clients on a wide array of legal issues, including overseas investments by PRC individuals, or state-owned or private enterprises, foreign direct investment in China, corporate restructuring, dissolution, listings and other fund raising on overseas markets, private placement of securities, management buyout, employee stock ownership plans, regulatory compliance of foreign investment enterprises in China, pre-merger filings in China, data protection, and restructuring tax.
Amigo's knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgment, and ability to develop practical solutions for complex issues have gained wide respect within the firm. He is the "go-to" lawyer on complex matters in China where the chances of success are not high.
With the benefit of receiving legal education in China for around 10 years and working experience on a global platform for nearly 20 years, Amigo is very familiar with how to communicate productively with Chinese clients and understands the real demands and concerns of Chinese clients making outbound investments or doing business in foreign jurisdictions.
- Director, Chinese Society of International Economic Law
- Director, Chen An International Economic Law Development Foundation
- Visiting professor, International Economic Law Institute, Law School, Xiamen university
- PRC National Bar Association
- Shanghai Municipality Bar Association
- Speaker, “Latest Developments In China-U.S. Trade: Cfius, Export Controls & Sanctions,” December 2019, Finance Law Research Center, Xiamen University, Law School, Xiamen
- Speaker, “VIE structure and Foreign Investment Law in China”, International Economic Law Institute, December 2018, Xiamen University, Law School, Xiamen
- Speaker, “China Tax on Investment Income of Non-Resident Enterprises in China,” April 2013, Seminar on International Economic Law and Dispute Resolution Procedures: Issues and Reforms, Xiamen
- Speaker, K&L Gates’ Global Associate Symposium, April 2012, Pittsburgh, PA
- Speaker, “Chinese Tax on Indirect Transfers of Businesses in China,” January 2011, Pacific Rim Tax Institute, Menlo Park, CA
- Speaker, “From Law School to Law Practice,” October 2010, Xiamen University, Law School, Xiamen
- Speaker, “Analyzing financial market access regulations in Taiwan,” September 2009, Cross Straits Banking Summit, The Banker, Xiamen
- Speaker, “China Outbound Direct Investment Regulations," September 2009, Seminar on Legal Issues Regarding China Outbound Investments, Guangdong Bar Association, Xiamen
- Author, “What is Simplified under Anti-Monopoly Filing Procedures for Simple M&A Cases?,” K&L Gates Client Alert, 2015
- Author, “China Opens Door to Overseas IPOs,” K&L Gates Client Alert, 2009
- Author, “Analysis on Latest Development of PRC Foreign Exchange Regulations on PRC Resident Individual’s Overseas Round-Trip Investment,” Journal of International Economic Law, Volume 14, Number 3, 2007, Peking University Press