Dr. Amigo L. Xie's practice focuses on China-related cross-border transactions, anti-trust, foreign investment control, data and privacy protection, dispute resolutions in China, general corporate, and commercial matters.
With more than 20 years' experience representing both Chinese and foreign clients, Amigo advises clients on a wide array of legal issues regarding China, including formation of wholly owned subsidiaries, joint ventures, partnerships, sole proprietorships, branches, representative offices, franchising operations, agencies or other commercial presence, cross-border intra-group restructuring, strategic or financial M&A transactions, dissolution and bankruptcy, sell downs of shares in listed companies by foreign investors, management buyout, employee stock ownership plans (stock options, RSUs, SARs, phantom stocks etc.), outbound investment by Chinese investors, regulatory compliance in luxury and healthcare products, pre-merger clearance with anti-trust authorities in China, foreign investment control assessments and filings, internal and external privacy and data protection policies, global data transfer, settlements, and dispute resolutions in China.
Amigo has widely published articles on various legal topics and is a frequent speaker. He has published news alerts and expert analyses on legal news platforms and law journals, such as LexisNexis, The National Law Review, Lexology, JD Supra, and Concurrences (award nominated).
With the benefit of receiving legal education in China for around 10 years and working experience on a global platform for over one and a half decades, Amigo is very familiar with how to communicate productively with Chinese parties (clients or otherwise) and understands their real demands and concerns in cross-border transactions or dispute resolutions.
- Director, Chinese Society of International Economic Law
- Visiting professor, International Economic Law Institute, Law School, Xiamen university
- PRC National Bar Association
- Shanghai Municipality Bar Association
- Speaker, “International Data Transfers under Chinese Law” March 2022, PrivSec China Virtual Forum organized by GRC World Forums
- Speaker, “China’s Data Protection Officer Recruitment Drive: How Ready is the People’s Republic of China for Half-a-Million DPOs? ” February 2022, PrivSec Global Virtual Seminar organized by GRC World Forums
- Speaker, “Latest Developments In China-U.S. Trade: CFIUS, Export Controls & Sanctions,” December 2019, Finance Law Research Center, Xiamen University, Law School, Xiamen
- Speaker, “VIE structure and Foreign Investment Law in China”, International Economic Law Institute, December 2018, Xiamen University, Law School, Xiamen
- Speaker, “China Tax on Investment Income of Non-Resident Enterprises in China,” April 2013, Seminar on International Economic Law and Dispute Resolution Procedures: Issues and Reforms, Xiamen
- Speaker, K&L Gates’ Global Associate Symposium, April 2012, Pittsburgh, PA
- Speaker, “Chinese Tax on Indirect Transfers of Businesses in China,” January 2011, Pacific Rim Tax Institute, Menlo Park, CA
- Speaker, “From Law School to Law Practice,” October 2010, Xiamen University, Law School, Xiamen
- Speaker, “Analyzing financial market access regulations in Taiwan,” September 2009, Cross Straits Banking Summit, The Banker, Xiamen
- Speaker, “China Outbound Direct Investment Regulations," September 2009, Seminar on Legal Issues Regarding China Outbound Investments, Guangdong Bar Association, Xiamen
- Author, “What is Simplified under Anti-Monopoly Filing Procedures for Simple M&A Cases?,” K&L Gates Client Alert, 2015
- Author, “China Opens Door to Overseas IPOs,” K&L Gates Client Alert, 2009
- Author, “Analysis on Latest Development of PRC Foreign Exchange Regulations on PRC Resident Individual’s Overseas Round-Trip Investment,” Journal of International Economic Law, Volume 14, Number 3, 2007, Peking University Press
- Mentioned, Trust and data law in MENA among key themes explored at PrivSec Global February 2022 day two, GRC World Forums, 17 February 2022