Todd Gibson is a member of the firm’s investment management, hedge funds and alternative investments practice group. His clients include registered investment companies, hedge funds, venture capital and private equity funds of all sizes, and he provides advice and counselling on a full range of structuring, regulatory, and compliance matters. Todd has assisted a variety of managers navigate laws and regulations governing the activities of investment advisers (including exemptions from registration), and he regularly advises U.S. and non-U.S. clients with respect to compliance with U.S. and European regulatory requirements. He regularly works with global managers on providing investment management services and selling pooled investment products (including UCITS funds) on a cross-border basis, both inbound and outbound from the U.S.
Todd also represents companies from various industries on status issues under the Investment Company Act of 1940, and has assisted operating companies with the development of internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance. He has also provided structuring advice to managers with respect to various alternative asset classes to identify applicable exclusions from the definition of an investment company.
As a member of the firm's fintech group, Todd, also counsels asset managers and digital financial service providers with respect to their use of technology to deliver their products and services.
Prior to joining the firm, Todd worked in a Pittsburgh law firm where his focus was on the financial industry and investment management.
- Panelist, “Introduction to the Advisers Act,” NRS webinar, 4 August 2020.
- Panelist, “Liquidity Risk Management and the SEC’s Proposed Rules: Impact and Program Considerations,” 2016 NICSA Strategic Leadership Forum, 1-2 February 2016.
- “Changing Landscape of Distribution Channels,” UCITS & AIFMD for US Managers Conference, 25 February 2015.
- “Marketing of non-US Funds into the US: US Regulations Impacting Private Offerings of non-US Funds,” Global Funds Distribution: USA 2014, 26-27 February 2014.
- Panelist, “Is globalization now doomed,” International Bar Association’s 24th Annual Conference on the Globalisation of Investment Funds, 10 June 2013.
- “Developments in the Landscape for International Vehicles: UCITS and Other Ways to Tap into the Global Market,” Financial Research Associates’ 13th Annual Sub-Advised Funds Forum, 19 April 2012.
- “Key Implementation Challenges: Distribution Concens for UCITS Funds,” Financial Research Associates’ UCITS for Fund Managers, 8 November 2012.
- “UCITS -- What’s Next?,” International Bar Association’s 19th Annual Conference on the Globalisation of Investment Funds, 3 June 2008.
- “Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFid),” Investment Company Institute’s Mutual Funds and Investment Management Conference, 16 March 2008.
- Panelist, “International Issues - Cross-Border Marketing and Advisory Services,” Investment Company Institute’s Mutual Funds and Investment Management Conference, 25 March 2007.
- FinTech, RegTech, and the Financial Services Industry, Chapter 4, “Raising Equity Capital Through Regulation Crowdfunding,” Practicing Law Institute, July 2021
- "Volcker Rule 2.0 is here to stay: Congress refuses to exercise rights under CRA," AIMA Journal Edition 126, June 2021
- “Blockchain 101 for Asset Managers,” The Investment Lawyer Vol. 23, No. 10, October 2016