Ernie Cochran is a partner in the Charleston and New York offices and focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and general corporate matters. He advises Fortune 500 companies as well as middle-market and emerging growth companies in a wide variety of corporate matters. Ernie regularly represents private equity sponsors, hedge funds, venture capital firms and corporate investors. He also has experience involving real estate development and transactions and represents borrowers and lenders in connection with secured and unsecured credit facilities, asset-based loans and acquisition financing.
Ernie has worked on transactions involving companies in many industries, including technology, paper and packaging, aerospace, distribution, energy, healthcare and real estate.
He regularly advises clients in the following areas:
- Stock and asset acquisitions and dispositions, mergers and other similar transactions for both public and private companies;
- Private equity and venture capital financings;
- Distressed debt acquisitions and dispositions;
- Joint ventures, partnerships and strategic alliances;
- Corporate recapitalizations, reorganizations and restructurings;
- Commercial lending and corporate finance;
- Real estate acquisition, disposition and development;
- Technology transactions; and
- General corporate and commercial matters, including contract negotiation and the formation and capitalization of corporations, limited liability companies, and partnerships.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Ernie worked for firms in Atlanta and Charleston.
- Named a 2015 BTI Client Service All-Star
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in America, Corporate Law, 2018-2021
- One80 Place, Board Member, 2016 - Present
- Leadership Charleston, Class of 2012
- Charleston County Bar Association
- Urban Land Institute, Member