Frank Thomas is a partner in the firm’s banking and asset finance practice in Frankfurt. He has extensive experience with domestic and cross-border financing, rail and aircraft finance transactions, infrastructure projects, privatizations, restructurings, public-private partnerships, and leasing, as well as advising public authorities or companies acting for public authorities.
His main focus is on projects and transactions in the following sectors: rail, aviation, technology, energy, and infrastructure, as well as utilities.
He advises companies, credit and financial services institutions, private equity funds, infrastructure funds, public transport authorities, state governments, and other public authorities.
Frank “enjoys a very good reputation” (Legal 500 Germany 2018). He is appreciated by colleagues and clients alike and is recognized by Best Lawyers/Handelsblatt 2019, Chambers Europe 2018 (First Tier), Chambers Global 2017, and Expert Guides 2014 as one of the leading asset finance and transportation lawyers (“highly experienced in aircraft financing and refinancing in rail transport,” Chambers Global 2017).
Clients emphasize “his strong negotiating skills” and praise his “first-class contract drafting” (Chambers Europe 2017). They “enjoy working with him,” describe him as “very efficient and client-oriented” (Chambers Europe 2018), and also appreciate his transaction management and competence in the implementation of projects: “He was very flexible, well organised and we were very well looked after” (Chambers Europe 2018) and “highly recommended (...) for his extensive experience in the field of rail finance” (Chambers Global 2015).
Frank is the chairman of the Annual International Rail Finance Conference and the annual LeasingFORUM, and he regularly gives speeches at national and international conferences (e.g., FORUM Institute) on finance, transportation, infrastructure, and PPP matters. He is a member of the advisory board of “Privatbahn Magazin,” and a representative of K&L Gates in the Rail Working Group Association on the implementation of international security over rolling stock.
- Member of the German Lawyers' Association (DAV) working group for tax law (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Steuerrecht im Deutschen Anwaltsverein)
- Member of the German Lawyers' Association (DAV)
- Bar Association (Rechtsanwaltskammer) Frankfurt am Main
Frank is the chairman of K&L Gates’ Railway and Infrastructure Finance Conference in Frankfurt and regularly speaks at national and international conferences (e.g., FORUM Institute) on finance, transportation, infrastructure, and PPP matters. He is a member of the advisory board of Privatbahn Magazin and a representative of K&L Gates in the Rail Working Group Association on the implementation of international security over rolling stock.
- Delivery Model for Rail Net West. New Financing Project Continues to Grow (Bereitstellungsmodell im Netz West. Neues Finanzierungsprojekt gewinnt weiter an Fahrt), Privatbahn-Magazin (PRIMA) 05, 2015, p. 48
- Weltmeisterliche Tugenden auch im Schienenverkehr, PRIMA, Im Fokus, 09/10, 2014, p. 4
- Market Study by the Federal Office for Goods Transport and Regional Rail Operator. Regional Rail Carriage Financing: Possible Solutions (BAG-SPNV Marktstudie. SPNV-Fahrzeugfinanzierung: mögliche Lösungsansätze), PRIMA 03.2012, p. 82, March 2012
- Current challenges in financing and leasing railway vehicles. General conditions for growth (Aktuelle Herausforderungen bei der Finanzierung und Vermietung von Schienenfahrzeugen. Rahmenbedingungen für Wachstum schaffen), PRIMA 4, 2010, p. 5
- Schmückt die Braut. Neue Herausforderungen für Aufgabenträger bei der Vergabe von SPNV-Verkehrsverträgen, PRIMA 1, 2010, p. 32