Frank Thomas is a partner in the firm's Asset and Corporate Finance practice in Frankfurt. He has extensive experience with domestic and cross-border financing, rail and aircraft finance transactions, infrastructure projects, privatizations, restructurings, public-private partnerships, and leasing, as well as advising public authorities or companies acting for public authorities.
His main focus is on projects and transactions in the following sectors: rail, aviation, technology, energy, and infrastructure, as well as utilities.
Frank advises companies, credit and financial services institutions, private equity funds, infrastructure funds, public transport authorities, state governments, and other public authorities.
Frank "enjoys a very good reputation" (Legal 500 Germany 2018). He is appreciated by colleagues and clients alike and is recognized by Best Lawyers/Handelsblatt 2021, Chambers Europe 2020 (First Tier), Chambers Global 2018, and Expert Guides 2014 as one of the leading asset finance and transportation lawyers ("highly experienced in aircraft financing and refinancing in rail transport," Chambers Global 2017).
Clients emphasize "his strong negotiating skills" and praise his "first-class contract drafting" (Chambers Europe 2017). They "enjoy working with him," describe him as "very efficient and client-oriented" (Chambers Europe 2018), and also appreciate his transaction management and competence in the implementation of projects: "He was very flexible, well organized and we were very well looked after" (Chambers Europe 2018) and "highly recommended (...) for his extensive experience in the field of rail finance" (Chambers Global 2015).
Frank joined K&L Gates as a partner in January 2009. Prior to joining the firm, he was a partner in the Frankfurt office of an international law firm. Frank started his career at an international law firm before founding his own law firm.
- Member of the German Lawyers' Association (DAV)
- Bar Association (Rechtsanwaltskammer) Frankfurt am Main
Frank regularly speaks at national and international conferences on finance, transportation, infrastructure, and PPP matters. He is a member of the advisory board of Privatbahn Magazin and a representative of K&L Gates in the Rail Working Group Association on the implementation of international security over rolling stock.
- Restructuring and Remediation Proceedings (Restrukturierung und Sanierungsverfahren), in: Privatbahn Magazin (PRIMA) 01/2022 January/February, page 78 et seq., together with Dr. Georg Bernsau
- Leasing and Electromobility (Leasing und Elektromobilität), in: BEM – Bundesverband eMobilität Online, July 2016
- Net West: New Financing Project Continues to Grow (Netz West: Das neue Finanzierungsprojekt gewinnt weiter an Fahrt), in: Privatbahn Magazin (PRIMA) 05/2015 September/October, page 48
- The Reform and Restructuring of the Approval Procedures for Rail Vehicles (Die Reform und Neustrukturierung des Zulassungsverfahrens für Eisenbahnfahrzeuge), K&L Gates Transport Finance Alert, 30 January 2015
- World champion virtues also in rail transport (Weltmeisterliche Tugenden auch im Schienenverkehr), in: Privatbahn Magazin (PRIMA) - Im Fokus, 05/2014 September/October, page 4
- Regional Rail Carriage Financing: Possible Solutions (SPNV-Fahrzeugfinanzierung: mögliche Lösungsansätze), in: Privatbahn Magazin (PRIMA) 03/2012 May/June, page 82
- Leasing or forfaiting – which way is the trend going? (Leasing oder Forfaitierung – wohin geht der Trend?), in: Privatbahn Magazin (PRIMA) 05/2011 September/October, page 62
- Financing model for regional passenger transport in Switzerland (Fahrzeugfinanzierungskonzept in der Schweiz), in: Privatbahn Magazin (PRIMA) 04/2011 July/August, page 76
- Structural deficits in the public transportation sector (Strukturelle Defizite des SPNV-Marktes), in: Privatbahn Magazin (PRIMA) 04/2011 July/August, page 49