Hugh Matsubayashi is a partner focusing on patent prosecution and intellectual property transactions.
Hugh has experience protecting his clients’ intellectual property across a range of technologies, including artificial intelligence, machine learning, computer hardware and software, medical devices, and semiconductor manufacturing. He has represented clients in an array of matters, including prosecution of domestic and international patent applications, intellectual property licensing, and intellectual property due diligence.
Having served as in-house counsel at a venture-funded medical device start-up as well as a Fortune 500 information technology company, Hugh understands the importance of tailoring each client’s intellectual property strategy to its practical business needs.
Hugh is a member of the firmwide Diversity Committee and a co-chairperson for the Seattle office Diversity Committee.
Hugh has previously worked as a partner at MacPherson Kwok Chen & Heid LLP (now Haynes & Boone LLP) and as an associate at Morrison & Foerster LLP. In addition to his years in private practice, Hugh has served in a variety of in-house roles. Prior to joining K&L Gates, Hugh was the Vice President of Legal Affairs and Intellectual Property at a venture-funded medical device company in Seattle. Earlier in his career, he served as Senior Patent Counsel for the Network Storage division of Sun Microsystems, Inc. He has also worked at the Research Center for Advanced Science and Technology at the University of Tokyo.
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Patent Law in Seattle, 2024
- Asian Bar Association of Washington, Vice President, 2017; Board of Directors, 2013–present
- Ryther, Board of Trustees, 2013–2017
- Initiative for Diversity Governing Council, 2013–2014
- University of Washington Educational Outreach, Advisory Board, 2009–present
- Asian Law Alliance, Board of Directors, 2006–2008
- Asian Pacific Bar Association of Silicon Valley, Board of Directors, 2000