The confluence of technology and entertainment has been one of the fastest-growing sectors in recent years. The interactive entertainment industry is projected for continued growth, with the sustained popularity of video, tablet, mobile, casual, social, and location-based games and the democratization of access to virtual reality, augmented reality, and mixed realities.
From virtual worlds to the metaverse, our international network of lawyers has substantial industry experience representing some of the most successful publishers, developers, and device manufacturers in the video game and interactive entertainment industry.
Our lawyers provide a multidisciplinary approach to interactive entertainment, with knowledge in intellectual property, employment and benefits, corporate transactions, tax, litigation, data protection and privacy, anti-piracy solutions, virtual goods, stored value systems and virtual currency, promotions and sweepstakes, loyalty programs, international strategy, and regulatory issues.
Our Immersive Technology lawyers are uniquely qualified to advise clients on legal issues through the complete growth cycle of a company, from inception to exit strategy, including the following.
- Initial public offerings, corporate organization and structure, and mergers and acquisitions
- Financing structures for game production
- Tax issues with online transactions
- Developing, protecting, and enforcing intellectual property rights through patent, trademark, and copyright filings and related strategic activities, including talent and influencer agreements
- Intellectual property licensing techniques, strategies, and ownership
- Trade secret protection and anti-piracy actions
- Open source software and other copyleft asset integration
- Licenses for game engines, game content, and characters as well as subsequent merchandising agreements
- Licensing of third party intellectual property, content, and developer tools
- Development, publishing, production, channel distribution, and OEM agreements
- Data protection and privacy laws for internet presence, e-commerce initiatives, and online games
- Digital currency and exchanges, virtual goods, and NFTs
- Consumer protection and loot box regulations
- Promotions and sweepstakes
- Employment policies, agreements, and manuals review
- Employee-consultant invention assignment agreements
- Employee retention and earn out mechanisms
- Noncompetition and nonsolicitation agreements
- Online harm and safety, including harassment, defamation, social media impersonation, online bullying, and revenge porn
- Stock incentive arrangements
- Freedom of expression, including First Amendment protection under the U.S. Constitution
- Dispute resolution
- Livestreaming, interactive shows, and talent contract negotiations
- Strategic advice on accessing markets in a global economy, including the United States, China, and the European Union
Our Interactive Entertainment practice advises clients in matters related to funding gaming transactions and purchases; including digital currency; in-game user-generated content; and agreements with payment service providers, payment gateway service providers, payment application (shopping cart) providers, and other related parties. This may include minimizing money transmitter licensing needs and other risks by using third-party encryption to avoid or limit Payment Card Industry compliance obligations.
We advise on intellectual property protection for video game developers, esports teams (from amateur to professional levels), and service providers in the esports and gaming industries. Our lawyers frequently assist clients in drafting appropriate intellectual property, collaboration, influencer, player, broadcasting, licensing, and sponsorship agreements; raising capital to launch events; and advising on unauthorized use of 3D graphic representations in sports simulation video games.
At the crossroad of legal understanding and technical acumen, our lawyers understand that the regulatory laws and technological progress shaping this dynamic industry are constantly evolving. With deep industry ties, we keep clients informed of new developments across the interactive entertainment sector, anticipating any issues that may arise.