Jake Bernstein is a partner at the firm’s Seattle office. He is a member of the Technology Transactions and Sourcing practice group, and primarily services clients under the Data Protection, Privacy, and Security focus area. Jake is also a Certified Information Systems Security Professional licensed by (ISC)2. Jake can be heard discussing cybersecurity and privacy issues as the co-host of the popular Cyber Risk Management Podcast.
The Washington State Supreme Court does not recognize certification of specialties in the practice of law and this certification is not a requirement to practice law in the state of Washington.
Prior to joining the firm, Jake served as an attorney at an internet, media, and technology law firm in Seattle. Through this role Jake focused his practice on cybersecurity and privacy, and provided incident response counseling and coaching, and proactively counseled clients on a wide range of cybersecurity issues including cybersecurity risk management, security architecture, vendor risk management, application security, and more. Additionally, Jake has provided outside general counsel services to rapidly-growing, technology-focused companies. He has experience in advising executives, sales managers, and engineers on regulatory compliance under a host of state, federal, and international laws including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), federal Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), NY SHIELD Act, and the European Union’s GDPR.
- Speaker, How to Avoid Getting Sued for Cyber Liability, The Shrimp Tank Podcast, 16 March 2022
- Speaker, SW West Coast Third Party Risk Panel, 22 November 2021
- Speaker, Ransomware: Is Your Sensitive Data Protected, or Will You Have to Pay Up?, 19 October 2021
- Speaker, The Ethics of Cybersecurity: How to Buy Cyber Insurance for Your Law Practice, Cyber Risk Opportunities, 15 September 2021
- Quoted, "A cybersecurity lawyer warns of the pitfalls of an unprotected network in manufacturing," Puget Sound Business Journal, 20 April 2022