Jeff King's practice has concentrated in complex commercial litigation and arbitration in a variety of areas, including business disputes, admiralty, transportation, product liability, toxic tort, and environmental matters. His clients include transportation companies, financial institutions, and manufacturers. His maritime and transportation experience has involved representing clients in personal injury and death defense, cargo damage, equipment damage, charter dispute, insurance, collision, allision, pollution, and USCG regulatory matters, as well as rail service disruption claims and air and motor carrier cargo claims. He represents commercial interests in various disputes, including deal, shareholder, loan, and contract litigation. His environmental experience includes representing companies in regulatory and private cost recovery matters under state and federal laws. His product liability experience has included defense of personal injury/wrongful death claims involving various products, including automobiles, industrial machinery and equipment, medical devices, and consumer products, and he has regularly counseled automobile and other manufacturers on product liability, warranty, consumer fraud, and recall matters. He has acted as national counsel for an automobile manufacturer regarding its product liability and product-related regulatory compliance matters. His toxic tort experience has involved the representation of defendants in asbestos, silica, and lead pigment matters. He has been on national coordinating counsel and trial teams defending manufacturers against asbestos exposure claims. Jeff has tried cases nationwide in various state and federal courts including in Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, Illinois, California, Missouri, and South Carolina, and has prepared appeals to the United States Supreme Court, Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, Appeals Court of Massachusetts, and the Superior Court of Pennsylvania.
Jeff retired from the U.S. Navy Reserve as a Commander after 28 years, during which he served at various Navy commands in the United States and overseas.
- Recognized in Best Lawyers in America for Admiralty and Maritime Law since 2019, and as “Lawyer of the Year” in 2023
- Selected as a “Leading Lawyer” in the area of “Transport: Shipping - Litigation and Regulation by Legal 500 USA, since 2020
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (www.litcounsel.org)
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating - AV® Preeminent™
- Selected to Massachusetts Super Lawyers list, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015
- Maritime Law Association (Proctor Member)
- Propeller Club, Port of Boston
- The Wardroom Club of Boston
- Holds United States Coast Guard Third Mate License (unlimited tonnage, continuity)
- United States Navy Reserve - Commander (retired)
- “The El Faro, A Case Study: Lessons Learned,” Connecticut Maritime Association Shipping 2018 Conference, March 13, 2018, Stamford, Connecticut
- ECA - MARPOL Annex VI - ‘New’ Regulations, Requirements, and Issues” - enforcement of new low sulfur fuel requirements in Emission Control Area, Connecticut Maritime Association Shipping 2015 Conference, March 24, 2015, Stamford, Connecticut
- Co-chair - Northeast Asbestos Litigators & Judges Forum, HB Litigation Conferences, June 21, 2012, New York, New York
- The Economic Damages Expert: Business Valuation in Expert Witness Answer Book 2022, Jeffrey S. King (PLI 2022). Also authored prior editions from 2012 to 2019.