John Lawrence primarily counsels healthcare clients in responding to governmental investigations and defending False Claims Act lawsuits. He has represented both individuals and companies in investigations involving the Department of Justice, U.S. Attorneys' Offices, and other federal and state agencies. His background also includes significant experience handling complex civil litigation inside and outside of healthcare. In addition to his litigation practice, John advises clients on healthcare regulatory matters, including those involving the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute.
Prior to joining the firm, John was an associate at a Nashville-based law firm where he concentrated his practice on litigation & dispute resolution, compliance & government investigation, and healthcare fraud & abuse. In addition, he was an associate at a law firm in Chattanooga, Tennessee for more than three years, where he practiced with the firm’s Litigation & Risk Management practice group.
- Super Lawyers, North Carolina Rising Star – Health Care (2020)
- Super Lawyers, Mid-South Rising Star- Business Litigation (2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
- American Health Lawyers Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Council Member, North Carolina Bar Association Health Law Section (2018-Present)
- “Traversing Borders - Coordinating National and International Investigations Initiated Internally and Externally by U.S./International Law Enforcement,” Under the Wire, February 13, 2020
- North Carolina Health Care Fraud and Abuse Conference, Moderator, “Government Perspectives: Emerging Trends and Priorities in Health Care Fraud & Abuse”, October 17, 2019
- Ethical Considerations in Health Care Fraud Investigations, AHLA Fraud & Compliance Forum, September 26, 2019
- Overview of Fraud & Abuse Laws, Tennessee Bar Association 17th Annual Health Law Primer, October 4, 2017
- The Ethics of a Healthcare Fraud Investigation, South Carolina Bar Association Conference - False Claims Act/Qui Tam Whistleblower Litigation Involving Health Care Providers, April 13, 2018
- Internal and External Healthcare Fraud Investigations, Healthcare Council of Western Pennsylvania Compliance Committee, September 13, 2018